Christian County, Illinois
Genealogy, History & Facts
Christian County, Illinois Facts
When was Christian County, IL Created?
Christian County was established on February 15, 1839 from Montgomery County, Sangamon County and Shelby County. This county was named for Christian County, Kentucky, which was itself named after Colonel William Christian.
What is the County Seat of Christian County, IL?
The County Seat is located in Taylorville also, the county government website is christiancountyil.com .
What counties are adjacent to Christian County, IL?
Bordering Counties are Macon County, Shelby County, Montgomery County, Sangamon County
What cities and towns are in Christian County, IL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Assumption, Pana, Taylorville, Bulpitt, Edinburg, Harvel, Jeisyville, Kincaid, Morrisonville, Mount Auburn, Moweaqua, Owaneco, Palmer, Stonington, Tovey.
What Townships are in Christian County, IL?
Townships located in the County include Locust, King, Johnson, Greenwood, Buckhart, Assumption, Bear Creek, Prairieton, Pana, May, Mount Auburn, Mosquito, South Fork, Ricks, Rosamond, Stonington, Taylorville.
Christian County, IL Vital Records
Where can find Christian County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Christian County vital records can be found at the Illinois Department of Public Health has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Christian County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Illinois Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records
- USGenweb Archives Illinois Marriage Project
- Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922
- Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915
- Illinois Marriage Records, 1860 – 1905
- Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934
- Cook County, Illinois, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1833-1889
- Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920
- Illinois Marriages, 1851-1900
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947
- Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947
Christian County, IL Census Records
What Christian County, IL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Christian County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Christian Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Christian Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Christian Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Illinois Census Records Research Guide
Christian County, IL Courthouse and Government Records
Christian County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Christian County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Christian County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Illinois Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Christian County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 South Main / PO Box 647, Taylorville, IL 62568
- Christian County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: County Clerk 217-824-4969 ; County Recorder 217-824-4960
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1828
- Christian County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: (217) 824-4966
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1839
- Christian County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- The county archives of the state of Illinois
- Local Government Records Database - provides a listing of the local governmental records held by the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) system
- BLM Land Records
Christian County, IL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Christian County, IL?
A list of Christian County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Illinois Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Christian County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 28, Taylorville, IL 62568
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, LIB 144, University of Illinois at Springfield, One University Plaza, MS BRK 140, Springfield, IL 62703-5407; 217-206-6520
- Illinois State Archives, Norton Building, Capitol Complex, Springfield, IL 62756; (217) 782-4682
- National Archives – Great Lakes Region (Chicago), 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois 60629-5898; 773-948-9001
- Illinois State Historical Society 210 1/2 S. Sixth, Springfield, IL 62701-1503; Phone: (217)525-2781
- Illinois State Library, 300 South 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62701-1796; Phone: (217) 785-5600
- Illinois State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10195, Springfield, IL 62791; Phone: (217) 789-1968
Where can I connect with other Christian County, IL Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Christian County, IL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Christian County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Christian Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Christian Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Christian Co. IL Cemeteries & Church Records
Christian Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Christian Co. IL General and History Websites
Christian Co. IL Military Records
Christian Co. IL Schools & Directories