Bond County, Illinois
Genealogy and Facts
Bond County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Bond Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Bond County was founded on January 4, 1817 from Madison County. This county was named for Shadrach Bond (1773–1832), First Governor of Illinois.
The Bond County Seat is located in Greenville since 1821 (prior county seats was Hills Station or Hills Fort (1817), Perryville (1817–1821)) also, the county government website is bondcountyil.com .
Areas bordering to Bond County are Montgomery County (north), Fayette County (east), Clinton County (south), Madison County (west)
Cities, Towns & Villages located in Bond County include Donnellson, Greenville, Keyesport, Mulberry Grove, Old Ripley, Panama, Pierron, Pocahontas, Smithboro, Sorento.
Townships located in Bond County include Lagrange, Burgess, Central, Pleasant Mound, Old Ripley, Mills, Mulberry Grove, Shoal Creek, Tamalco.
Bond County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bond Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bond Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bond Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Bond County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bond County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bond County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 172, Greenville, Illinois 62246
- Bond County Historical Society, P.O. Box 327, Greenville, IL 62246; Phone: (618) 664-1606
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, LIB 144, University of Illinois at Springfield, One University Plaza, MS BRK 140, Springfield, IL 62703-5407; 217-206-6520
- Bond County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bond County
- Bond County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bond County
- USGenWeb Archives for Bond County
Bond County Courthouse and Government Records
Bond County Courthouse
frequently fail to notice the significance of Bond County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Bond County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Bond County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
- Bond County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 W. College 203 County Office Bldg., Greenville, IL 62246
- Bond County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 618-664-0449
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1817
- Bond County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 618-664-3208
- Probate Records: 1821
- Court Records: 1817
- Bond County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Bond County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Bond County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Bond County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bond Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bond Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bond Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bond Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bond Co. IL Census Records
Bond Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bond Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Bond Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bond Co. IL General and History Websites
Bond Co. IL Military Records