Fulton County, Georgia
Fulton County was created on December 20, 1853 from DeKalb County County plus the former Campbell and Milton Counties and a portion of Cobb County (Fulton County was consolidated with Campbell and Milton counties on Jan. 1, 1932. Campbell County was created on Dec. 20, 1828 from portions of Carroll, Coweta, DeKalb, and Fayette counties. Milton County was created on Dec. 18, 1847 from portions of Cherokee, Cobb, and Forsyth counties. ). The county was named in honor of Robert Fulton, an engineer and the inventor of the steamboat.
The Fulton County Seat is located in Atlanta and in the current county government website is www.co.fulton.ga.us/.
Counties adjacent to Fulton County are Cherokee County (northwest), Forsyth County (norteast), Gwinnett County (east), DeKalb County (east), Clayton County (south), Fayette County (south), Coweta County (southwest), Carroll County (west), Douglas County (west) at Chattahoochee River, Cobb County (west) .
Fulton County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Appling County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Appling Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Appling County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fulton County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Fulton County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fulton County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fulton County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Fulton County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Fulton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alpharetta Historical Society, PO Box 1386, Alpharetta, GA 30239, (770) 475-4663
- Atlanta Historical Society, 3101 Andrews Drive, Atlanta, GA 30305
- College Park Historical Society, PO Box F, College Park, GA 30337; (404) 767-6202
- East Point Historical Society, 1685 Norman Berry Drive, PO Box 90675, East Point, GA 30364-0675
- Eleventh Circuit Historical Society, PO Box 1556, Atlanta, GA 30301
- Hapeville Historical Society, PO Box 82055, Hapeville, GA 30354
- Old Campbell County Historical Society, PO Box 342, Fairburn, GA 30213-0342; (770) 997-3385
- Friends of Bulloch Hall, 180 Bulloch Ave; Roswell, GA 30075-4420; (404) 992-1731.
- The Georgia Trust, 1516 Peachtree St NW; Atlanta, GA 30309-2916; (404) 881-9980
- Historic Oakland Cemetery, 248 Oakland Ave SE ; Atlanta , GA 30312-2292 ; (404) 658-6019.
- Roswell Historical Society, PO Box 1636; Roswell, GA 30077-1636; (404) 992-1665.
- The Salvation Army Southern Historical Center, 1032 Metropolitan Pkwy SW; Atlanta, GA 30310-3488; Michael Nagy; (404) 752-7578
- Smith Plantation Home Preservationists, Site Coordinator; 935 Alpharetta St; Roswell, GA 30075-3827; Chuck Douglas; (770) 641-3978
- Society of the War of 1812 in the State of GA, 3065 River North Pkwy NW; Atlanta, GA 30328-1117; Joe C. Rude; (770) 396-7960.
- Woodward Academy GMA Archives, 1662 Rugby Ave; College Park, GA30337-2199; Russell Zaring; (404) 765-4000.
- Fulton County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fulton County
- Fulton County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fulton County
Fulton County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Fulton County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Fulton County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Fulton County.
- Fulton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Fulton County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (404) 730-5313
- Land Records: 1854
- Court Records: 1854
- Fulton County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 404-730-4690
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1854
- The Fulton County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
Fulton County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Fulton County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Fulton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Fulton Co. GA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Georgia
- Fulton County Georgia (genealogytrails.com)
- Atlanta and its builders : a comprehensive history of the Gate City of the South (search.ancestry.com)
- Atlanta, yesterday, today and tomorrow (search.ancestry.com)
- Atlanta, a city of the modern South (search.ancestry.com)
- Atlanta illustrated : containing glances at its population, business, manufactures, industries, institutions, society, healthfu (search.ancestry.com)
- Atlanta centennial year book (search.ancestry.com)
- Fulton County, Georgia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Fulton County, Georgia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Fulton Co. GA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Georgia Virtual Vault (sos.state.ga.us)
- Fulton County, Georgia History (usgwarchives.net)
- Fulton County, Georgia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Georgia - Counties - Fulton (cyndislist.com)
- Fulton County, GA History (georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu)
- Fulton Co. GAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Fulton County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- View Index of Counties and Equivalents
- Fulton County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Fulton Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Military Records
Facts for Fulton Co. GA Schools & Directories