St. Johns County, Florida
Genealogy and Facts
St. Johns County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your St. Johns Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
St. Johns County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.st-johns.fl.us/
- Created Date / Origin: July 21, 1821 as an original county
- County Seat: Saint Augustine
- Named After: Name derived from the St. Johns River, which in turn derives its name from San Juan del Puerto
- Bordering Counties: Duval County (north), Flagler County (south), Putnam County (southwest), Clay County (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Hastings, Marineland, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- St. Augustine was the first permanent white settlement in what is now the United States, being established by Spanish under Menendez in 1565.
- Ponce de Leon had landed near here in 1513. Early Spanish buildings and fortifications are preserved, including ancient Fort San Marcos and the original city gates.
- The city was captured by Sir Francis Drake in 1586 and later by John Davis.
- It was besieged by Governor Oglethorpe of Georgia and Governor Moore of South Carolina.
- The ancient fort held as prisoners signers of the American Declaration of Independence and, later, famous Indian Chiefs of Seminole War days and Arizona Indian Wars.
- The Confederate flag was the fourth (following Spanish, British and American) to fly over this region, not counting the French in the northern part and the banner of the Republic of Florida.
- In 1862 the Union forces reoccupied the county and the American flag has flown ever since. St. Johns is Florida's chief Irish potato producing county.
- Thousands of tourists visit here annually to see the old Spanish and beautiful but more modern buildings of the ancient city.
- In 1838 Coacoochee, otherwise known as Wild Cat, made his famous escape from Fort Marion.
St. Johns County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of St. Johns County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- St. Augustine Historical Society, 271 Charlotte St., St. Augustine, FL 32084-5033; 904-824-2872
- St. Augustine Historical Society Research Library, 6 Artillery Lane, St. Augustine, FL 32084; 904-825-2333
- St. Augustine Genealogical Society, C/ St. Johns County Public Library, 1960 N. Ponce de Leon Blvd., St. Augustine, FL 32084
- St. Johns County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in St. Johns County
- St. Johns County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for St. Johns County
- USGenWeb Archives for St. Johns County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
St. Johns County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of St. Johns County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the St. Johns County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in St. Johns county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- St. Johns County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 4010 Lewis Speedway, St. Augustine, FL 32084
- St. Johns County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (904) 819-3600
- Marriage Records: 1823
- Land Records: 1821
- Probate Records: 1844
- Court Records: 1821
- St. Johns County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
St. Johns County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to St. Johns County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred St. Johns County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
St. Johns Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
St. Johns Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
St. Johns Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
St. Johns Co. FL Census Records
St. Johns Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
St. Johns Co. FL Church & Bible Records
St. Johns Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St. Johns Co. FL General and History Websites
St. Johns Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
St. Johns Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St. Johns Co. FL Military Records
St. Johns Co. FL Schools & Directories