Monroe County, Florida
Genealogy and Facts
Monroe County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Monroe Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Monroe County Facts
- Government Website: www.monroecounty-fl.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: July 3, 1823 from Saint
- County Seat: Key West
- Named After: James Monroe (1758–1831), fifth President of the United States
- Bordering Counties: Collier County (north), Miami-Dade County (northeast)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Key West, Marathon, Key Colony Beach, Layton, Islamorada
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Key West, the county seat, was a thriving port and the largest city in Florida before the Civil War.
- Fort Jefferson, on the Dry Tortugas, was the place of imprisonment of Dr. Mudd who had set the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth after the latter had assassinated Abraham Lincoln.
- Key West became a naval base in 1822 and was of great importance during the Civil War, the Spanish American War, first World War and again in the second World War.
- It is a most interesting city with its ancient houses-, its "Turtle crawls" and its tropical vegetation.
- It is reached by buses, Trucks: and passenger cars over a highway running from Florida's mainland over a series of long and narrow keys connected by bridges, the center of one bridge being out of sight of land.
- John W. Simonton purchased island of Key West from Don Juan de Estrada, original grantee, December 21, 1821.
- Florida's first democratic primary held in Monroe County 1876.
Monroe County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Monroe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Historic Florida Keys Preservation Board, 500 Whitehead St., Key West, FL 33040
- Historical Preservation Society of The Upper Keys, P. O. Box 2200, Key Largo, FL 33037
- Key West Art and Historical Society, 3501 S. Roosevelt Blvd., Key West, FL 33040; (305) 296-3913
- Monroe County Genealogical Society, 21 Ventana Lane, Big Coppitt Key, FL 33040
- Monroe County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Monroe County
- Monroe County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Monroe County
- USGenWeb Archives for Monroe County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Monroe County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Monroe County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Monroe County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Monroe county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Monroe County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 1980, Key West, FL 33040 or 500 Whitehead Street, Key West, FL 33040
- Monroe County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (305) 294-4641 ext. 3314
- Marriage Records: 1826
- Land Records: 1826
- Probate Records: 1888
- Court Records: ?
- Monroe County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Monroe County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Monroe County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Monroe County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Monroe Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Monroe Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Monroe Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Monroe Co. FL Census Records
Monroe Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Monroe Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Monroe Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Monroe Co. FL General and History Websites
Monroe Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Monroe Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Monroe Co. FL Military Records
Monroe Co. FL Schools & Directories