Broward County, Florida
Genealogy and Facts
Broward County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Broward Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Broward County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.broward.fl.us
- Created Date / Origin: April 30, 1915 from Dade County and Palm Beach County
- County Seat: Fort Lauderdale
- Named After: Napoleon Bonaparte Broward (1857–1910), 19th Governor of Florida from 1905 to 1909
- Bordering Counties: Palm Beach County (north), Miami-Dade County (south), Collier County (west), Hendry County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include:Coconut Creek, Cooper City, Coral Springs, Dania Beach, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, Hollywood, Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderhill, Lighthouse Point, Margate, Miramar, North Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Tamarac, West Park, Weston, Wilton Manors Davie, Hillsboro Beach, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Pembroke Park, Southwest Ranches. Villages Include Lazy Lake, Sea Ranch Lakes.
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- The site of county seat was originally a fort used in the Seminole War.
- January, 1836, the Colee massacre occurred within the present limits of Ft. Lauderdale.
Broward County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Broward County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Broward County Historical Commission, 151 S.W. 2nd Street, Ft. Lauderdale 33301
- Broward County, Inc, Genealogical Society of, P. O. Box 485, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33303
- Oakland Park Historical Society, 3976 NE Sixth Ave., Oakland Park, FL 33334
- Old Fort Lauderdale Village & Museum, Fort Lauderdale Historical Society, 219 WS 2nd Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301; (954) 463-4431
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Broward County, P. O. Box 17251, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33318
- Broward County, Florida Message Boards (boards .ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Broward County
- Broward County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Broward County
- USGenWeb Archives for Broward County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Broward County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Broward County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Broward County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Broward county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Broward County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 S. E. 6th Street, Room 136, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301
- Broward County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (954) 831-7019
- Marriage Records: 1915
- Land Records: 1915
- Probate Records: 1917
- Court Records: 1915
- Broward County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Broward County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Broward County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Broward County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Broward Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Broward Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Broward Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Broward Co. FL Census Records
Broward Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Broward Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Broward Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Broward Co. FL General and History Websites
Broward Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Broward Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Broward Co. FL Military Records
Broward Co. FL Schools & Directories