Washington County, Colorado
Genealogy, History & Facts
Washington County, Colorado Facts
When was Washington County, CO Created?
Washington County was established on February 9, 1887 from Weld County. The county was named in honor of George Washington (1732 - 1799), the first President of the United States.
What is the County Seat of Washington County, CO?
The County Seat is located in Akron and the county government website is http://www.co.washington.co.us/
What counties are adjacent to Washington County, CO?
Bordering Counties are Logan County (northeast), Yuma County (east), Kit Carson County, Lincoln County (southwest), Adams County (west), Arapahoe County (west), Morgan County (west).
What cities and towns are in Washington County, CO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Akron, Anton, Cope, Last Chance, Lindon, Otis, Woodrow
Washington County, CO Vital Records
Where can find Washington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Washington County vital records can be found at the Colorado Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Colorado for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Colorado Birth Certificate, Marriage Verification, Divorce Verification, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Washington County, CO Census Records
What Washington County, CO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Washington County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Washington County, CO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Washington County, CO?
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Colorado Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
Washington County, CO Courthouse and Government Records
Washington County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Washington County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Washington County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Colorado Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 26861 U.S. 34, Akron, CO 80720
- Phone: (970) 345-6565
- Washington County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Land Records: 1872
- Washington County Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1887
- Court Records: 1887
- Northeast Colorado Health Department
- Birth / Death Records: 1894–1911 at Vital statistics registrar.
Where can I connect with other Washington County, CO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Washington County, CO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County.
Washington Co. CO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. CO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 (familysearch.org)
- Colorado Divorce Records, Various Sources 1851 - 2004 (archives.com) Various Public Records Sources
- Colorado Marriage Records 1975 - 2004 (archives.com) Colorado State Public Record Offices
- Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Colorado Department of Health card index of divorces in Colorado from 1900-1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Card index created by the Division of Vital Statistics, Department of Health in Colorado. The index is arranged alphabetically by groom's name providing county, names of husband and wife, age, race, date and place of marriage, certificate number.
Washington Co. CO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washington Co. CO Census Records
Washington Co. CO Cemeteries & Church Records
Washington Co. CO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. CO General and History Websites
Washington Co. CO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. CO Military Records
Washington Co. CO Schools & Directories
- Colorado City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Colorado. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- The Colorado state business directory: 1876, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887-8, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1921, 1923 (search.ancestry.com)