Jefferson County, Alabama Genealogy
Jefferson County, Alabama genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Jefferson Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Jefferson County was created on Dec. 13 1819 it was formed from Blount County. This particular county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), 3rd U.S. President.
The Jefferson County Seat was Carrollsville from 1819-21, at Elyton from 1821-73, and since 1873 has been at Birmingham, which was named for England's iron and steel center in Warwickshire. In addition the county government website is http://jeffconline.jccal.org/
Locations adjacent Jefferson County happen to be Blount County (north), St. Clair County (northeast and east), Shelby County (south and southeast), Bibb County (southwest (a very short boundary), Tuscaloosa County (west and southwest), Walkery County (northwest and north).
Cities and towns found in Jefferson County consist of Adamsville, Adger, Alton, Argo, Avondale, Bessemer, Birmingham, Brighton, Brookside, Cahaba Heights, Cardiff, Center Point, Chalkville, Clay, Concord, County Line, Dolomite, Edgewater, Ensley, Ezra, Fairfield, Forestdale, Fultondale, Gardendale, Grayson Valley, Graysville, Helena, Homewood, Hoover, Hueytown, Irondale, Kimberly, Leeds, Lipscomb, Maytown, McCalla, McDonald Chapel, Midfield, Minor, Morris, Mount Olive, Mountain Brook, Mulga, North Johns, Oak Grove, Pinson, Pleasant Grove, Pratt City , Providence, Rock Creek, Sandusky, Shady Grove, Ala., Shannon, Southside, Smithfield, Sumiton, Sylvan Springs, Tarrant, Trafford, Trussville, Valley Creek, Vestavia Hills, Warrior, West Jefferson, Woodlawn, Wylam.
Jefferson County includes Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Jefferson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. Two State censuses for confederate veterans exist for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Jefferson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Alabama Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Birmingham Public Library, (Tutwiler Collection), 205-226-3665
- Birmingham Genealogical Society, Box 2432, Birmingham, AL 35201; Publication: Pioneer Trails
- Birmingham Historical Society, 1 Sloss Quarters, Birmingham, AL 35222; Publication: Birmingham Historical Society Journal
- Hueytown Historical Society, P.O. Box 3313, Hueytown, AL 35023
- Jefferson County Historical Commission, 571 Landmark Center, 2100 First Avenue North, Birmingham, Alabama 35203, 205-324-0988
- Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society, P.O. Box 130285, Birmingham, AL 35213-0285
- Roebuck Springs Historic Preservation Society, 504 Valley Rd., Birmingham, AL 35206
- West Jefferson County Historical Society, P.O. Box 184, Bessemer, Alabama 35021-0184; (205) 426-1633
- Alabama Genealogical Society, Inc. (Depository and Headquarters) Samford University Library, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001 EMAIL
- ALJEFFER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jefferson County, Alabama.To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- AL-RUHEASTL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Ruhama Baptist Church, East Lake area, Jefferson County, Alabama. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Jefferson County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the significance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Alabama people. The odds are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's office to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1870 . The below facts shows exactly what birth, marriage, death, land, probate, and legal records will be in Jefferson County. The years pointed out below could be the first widely known documents in this county.
- Jefferson County Clerk of Circuit Court serves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 716 N. 21st St., Birmingham, AL 35263-0001
- Phone: (205) 325-5300
- Court Records: 1826
- Divorce Records: are maintained among the equity records (Divorces issued prior to 1950 are located here. Divorces issued after 1950 can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health)
- Jefferson County Clerk of Probate Court maintains following records in the probate office: Plats, Maps, Judgments, Liens, Deeds, Mortgages, Corporations, Lis pendens, Marriage licenses, Military discharges. The Probate Judge presides over all probate court hearings for Probate of Wills, Administrations, Conservators, Guardianships, Adoptions, Legitimations, Name changes, Condemnations, Mental Commitment hearings, and performs marriage ceremonies.
- Address: 716 North 21st Street, Birmingham, AL 35263
- Phone: (205) 325-5512
- Marriage Records: 1818 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1819
- Land Records: 1819
- Jefferson Tax Assessor's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Jefferson County Health Department has Birth Records from (Partial)1871, 1882, Death records from (Partial)1871, 1882 . . You may go to any county health department in the State of Alabama to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Jefferson County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Jefferson County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own favorite Jefferson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jefferson Co. AL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. AL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. AL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. AL Census Records
Jefferson Co. AL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. AL Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. AL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. AL General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. AL Immigration & Naturalization
Jefferson Co. AL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. AL Military Records
Jefferson Co. AL Schools & Directories