Sheboygan County, Wisconsin
Genealogy, History & Facts
Sheboygan County, Wisconsin Facts
When was Sheboygan County, WI Created?
Sheboygan County was created on December 7, 1836 from Brown County. The county was named after Shawb-wa-way-kun, a Native American word meaning great noise underground .
Sheboygan County, WI Vital Records
Where can find Sheboygan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Sheboygan County vital records can be found at the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process.
Sheboygan County vital records can be found at our office at 508 New York Ave, Sheboygan WI 53081. We have birth, death and marriage records back to about 1850.
You can search online for Sheboygan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wisconsin Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Wisconsin Marriage Project
- Earliest Registration Dates by County
- Pre-1907 Birth Index
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926
- Wisconsin, Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- Wisconsin Marriage Index 1852-1907
- Wisconsin Marriage Index (selected entries pre-1907)
- Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930
- Pre-1892 Wisconsin Brides and/or Grooms from Maine State Archives Cards
- Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968
- Pre-1907 Death Index
- 1959-1979 Death Index
- 1979-1984 Death Index
Sheboygan County, WI Census Records
What Sheboygan County, WI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Sheboygan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840 (as Wisconsin Territory), 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Sheboygan Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sheboygan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sheboygan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
There are Wisconsin State censuses from 1895 and 1905. Also the Wisconsin Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index for 1820-1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Wisconsin Census Records Research Guide
Sheboygan County, WI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Sheboygan County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Sheboygan County.The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Sheboygan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 508 New York Avenue, Sheboygan, WI 53081; Phone: 920.459.3003
- County was attached to Brown County for county and judicial purposes from 1839–46. Some early records may be found there.
- Sheboygan County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 920-459-3023
- Birth Records: 1848
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Death Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1835
- Sheboygan County Register in Probate Office
- Address: 615 North 6th Street, Sheboygan, WI 53081
- Phone: 920-459-3050
- Probate Records: 1860
- Sheboygan County Clerk of Court Office
- Address: 615 North 6th Street, Sheboygan, WI 53081
- Phone: (920) 459-3068
- Court Records: 1851
- Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs provides access to certain public records of the circuit courts of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin, Probate Estate Files, 1848-1935
- U.S., Indexed Early Land Ownership and Township Plats, 1785-1898
- BLM Land Records
Sheboygan County, WI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Sheboygan County, WI?
A list of Sheboygan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Wisconsin Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Sheboygan County Genealogical Society, 518 Water St, Sheboygan Falls, WI 53085
- Sheboygan County Historical Research Center, 518 Water St, Sheboygan Falls, WI 53085; Phone: 920-467-4667
- Sheboygan County Historical Society, 3110 Erie Ave, Sheboygan, WI 53081; Phone: 920-458-1103
- Area Research Center – University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, Division of Archives and Special Collections, Golda Meir Library, Room W250, PO Box 604, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI 53201-0604; Phone: (414) 229-5402
- Kiel Area Historical Society, N9654 Anderson Ct, Elkhart Lake, WI 53020; Phone: 4920-894-2126
- Plymouth Genealogical Society, 317 E Main St, Plymouth, WI 530673
- Plymouth Historical Society, 405 Collins St, Plymouth, WI 53073; Phone: 920-892-6228
- Wisconsin’s Ethnic Settlement Trail, 518 Water Street, Sheboygan Falls, WI 53085; Phone: 920-467-9518
- Wisconsin Area Research Center Network
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706-1488
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, PO Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
Where can I connect with other Sheboygan County, WI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Sheboygan County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Sheboygan County
- Sheboygan County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Sheboygan County, WI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Sheboygan County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.