Door County, Wisconsin
Genealogy, History & Facts
Door County, Wisconsin Facts
When was Door County, WI Created?
Door County was created on February 11, 1851 from Brown County.
What counties are adjacent to Door County, WI?
Bordering Counties are Kewaunee County.
Door County, WI Vital Records
Where can find Door County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Door County vital records can be found at the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth, Marriage, Divorce & Death Records reported since 1907. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wisconsin for current fees and application process..
You can search online for Door County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wisconsin Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Wisconsin Marriage Project
- Earliest Registration Dates by County
- Pre-1907 Birth Index
- Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926
- Wisconsin, Divorce Index, 1965-1984
- Wisconsin Marriage Index 1852-1907
- Wisconsin Marriage Index (selected entries pre-1907)
- Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997
- Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930
- Pre-1892 Wisconsin Brides and/or Grooms from Maine State Archives Cards
- Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968
- Pre-1907 Death Index
- 1959-1979 Death Index
- 1979-1984 Death Index
Door County, WI Census Records
What Door County, WI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Door County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830 (as Michigan Territory), 1840 (as Wisconsin Territory), 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Door Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Door Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Door Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research.
There are Wisconsin State censuses from 1895 and 1905. Also the Wisconsin Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index for 1820-1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Wisconsin Census Records Research Guide
Door County, WI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Door County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Door County.The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Door County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Door County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 920-746-2270
- Birth Records: 1852
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Death Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1857
- Door County Register in Probate Office
- Address: 1207 S. Duluth Ave., Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
- Phone: 920-746-2482
- Probate Records: 1861
- Door County Clerk of Court Office
- Address: 1205 S. Duluth Ave., Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235
- Phone: (920) 746-2205
- Court Records: 1861
- Public Records of the Consolidated Court Automation Programs provides access to certain public records of the circuit courts of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin, Probate Estate Files, 1848-1935
- U.S., Indexed Early Land Ownership and Township Plats, 1785-1898
- BLM Land Records
Door County, WI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Door County, WI?
A list of Door County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Wisconsin Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Door County Historical Society, 4994 Ripp Rd, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235; Phone: 920-743-4945
- Jacksonport Historical Society, 6275 Hwy 57, Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235; Phone: 920-823-2288
- Area Research Center – University of Wisconsin – Green Bay, Cofrin Library, 7th floor, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, 2420 Nicolet Drive, Green Bay, WI 54311-7001; Phone: 920/465-2539
- Wisconsin Area Research Center Network
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706-1488
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, PO Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index (wisconsinhistory.org) Search for pre-1907 Vital Records, as well as for 150,000 Wisconsin Name Index (WNI) records, including biographical sketches, obituaries, and newspaper articles published before 2000.
Where can I connect with other Door County, WI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Wisconsin State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Door County, Wisconsin Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Door County
- Door County, Wisconsin Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Door County, WI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Door County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.