Tyler County, West Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Tyler County, West Virginia Facts
When was Tyler County, WV Created?
Tyler County was established on December 16, 1814 from Ohio County.
What is the County Seat of Tyler County, WV?
The County Seat is located in Middlebourne and the county government website is http://www.tylercountywv.com/
Tyler County, WV Vital Records
Where can find Tyler County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Tyler County vital records can be found at the West Virginia Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records from January 1917 to present; marriage records from 1921 to present and divorce records from 1968 to present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Tyler County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for West Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives West Virginia Marriage Project
- Vital Research Records Search Selection
- West Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia, Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths, 1853-1970
Tyler County, WV Census Records
What Tyler County, WV census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Tyler County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tyler Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tyler Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tyler Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also West Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Tyler County, WV Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Tyler County Courthouse?
The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also West Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Tyler County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 121 Main St, Middlebourne, WV 26149
- Tyler County Clerk
- Phone: (304) 758-2102
- Birth / Death Records: 1853
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Land Records: 1813
- Probate Records: 1815
- Tyler County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (304) 758-4811
- Court Records: 1815
Tyler County, WV Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Tyler County, WV?
A list of Tyler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide West Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Tyler County Heritage and Historical Society, PO Box 317, Middlebourne, WV 26149; Phone: (304) 758-4288
- West Virginia Archives and History, The Cultural Center; 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, E.; Charleston, WV 25305-0300
- West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University, Colson Hall, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506; (304) 293-3536
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 249, Elkview, West Virginia 25071
- West Virginia Historical Society, PO Box 5220, Charleston, WV 25361
Where can I connect with other Tyler County, WV Researchers through message boards and forums?
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tyler County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Tyler County
- Tyler County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Tyler County, WV?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Tyler County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.