Pacific County, Washington
Pacific County was founded on February 04, 1851 from Lewis County.
The Pacific County Seat is situated in South Bend and the county government website is http://www.co.pacific.wa.us/. Previous county seats were Pacific City (1851-1852), Chinook or Chinookville (1852-1855) and Oysterville (1855-1893). In 1893 the current county seat became South Bend.
Locations bordering Pacific County are Grays Harbor County, Lewis County, Wahkiakum County, Clatsop County, Oregon (
Pacific County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Pacific County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Pacific County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Pacific Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Pacific Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Pacific Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Pacific County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Pacific County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pacific County Genealogical Society, PO Box 843, Ocean Park, WA 98640-0843. The society's genealogical collection is housed in the Ocean Park Timberland Library. Monthly society meetings are also held there.
- South Pacific County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1024, Long Beach, WA 98631
- Willapa Harbor Genealogical Society, Raymond Public Library, 507 Duryea St, Raymond, WA 98577
- Ilwaco Heritage Foundation & Museum, 115 SE Lake St, PO Box 153, Ilwaco, WA 98624; phone: 360-642-3446. Exhibits include Native Americans, settlers and explorers, the Columbia River estuary, fishing, logging, and the Railroad that Ran by the Tide. "The museum depicts frontier life in southwest Washington. Exhibits include Chinook Indian and pioneer artifacts and displays highlight the fishing, logging and cranberry industries." The museum's Research Library's resources include many local newspapers, index to all Pacific County newspapers 1889-1981, local history and genealogy periodicals, records of deaths prior to 1925, an indexed photo collection, vertical file of newspaper clippings and Ilwaco High School yearbooks.
- Pacific County Historical Society & Museum, 1008 W Robert Bush Drive, PO Box P, South Bend, WA 98586. Phone 360-875-5224. Genealogical resources available include: approximately 10,000 historic photographs, 1919-1944 Sanborn fire insurance maps for Raymond and South Bend, city and county directories and telephone books, local and Washington state reference collection, countywide cemetery records, census for 1860,1870, 1880, 1900 and 1910,school annuals and ledgers and payroll records.
- Fort Columbia House Museum, (Fort Columbia State Park, Hwy 101, Chinook, WA 98614), PO Box 488, Ilwaco, WA 98624. Phone 360-642-3078 .
- Knappton Cove Heritage Center, Knappton, WA.
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch. 1129 Washington Street SE, PO Box 40238, Olympia, WA 98504. Phone 360) 753-1684.
- Pacific County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Pacific County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Pacific County (usgwarchives.net)
Pacific County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Pacific County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Pacific County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Pacific County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 300 Memorial Ave, South Bend WA 98586
- Courthouse hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Pacific County Auditor
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1868
- Land Records: 1851
- Pacific County Clerk
- Court Records: 1851
- Probate Records: 1878
- Pacific County Treasurer ecords generally not available for self service searching. Searches done by staff are done on a time-available basis and billed at $8.00 per hour, with an $8.00 minimum.
Pacific County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pacific County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Pacific County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Pacific Co. WA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pacific Co. WA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pacific Co. WA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Washington Court Records Research Guide
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009 (familysearch.org) Collection of various records including vital, probate, school, tax, naturalization and other records.
- Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 (familysearch.org)
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Pacific Co. WA Census Records
Pacific Co. WA Church & Cemeteries
Pacific Co. WA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pacific Co. WA General and History Websites
Pacific Co. WA Immigration & Naturalization
Pacific Co. WA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pacific Co. WA Military Records
Pacific Co. WA Schools & Directories