OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Patrick County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Patrick County, Virginia Facts
When was Patrick County, VA Created?
Patrick County was established on November 26, 1790 from Pittsylvania County and Henry County.
What is the County Seat of Patrick County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Stuart also, the county government website is www.co.patrick.va.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Patrick County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Carroll County, Floyd County, Franklin County, Henry County, Stokes County, North Carolina, Surry County, North Carolina.
Patrick County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Patrick County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Patrick County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Patrick County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Patrick Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Patrick County Health Department, 106 Rucker Street, P.O. Box 428, Stuart, VA 24171; 276 -693-2070
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Patrick County, VA Census Records
What Patrick County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Patrick County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Patrick Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Patrick Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Patrick Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Patrick County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Patrick County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Patrick County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Patrick County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P. O. Box 148, 101 Blue Ridge Street, Stuart, VA 24171-0148
- Phone: (276) 694-7213
- Marriage Records: 1791
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Probate Records: 1791
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes – County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia’s counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia’s counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library’s collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Patrick County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Patrick County, VA?
A list of Patrick County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- New River Notes (newrivernotes.com)
- Patrick County Historical Society and Museum, P.O. Box 1045, Stuart, VA 24171, (540) 694-2840, (540) 694-3895
- Patrick County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1016, Stuart, VA 24171, 276-692-5920; They meet the 2nd Tuesday, night of each month in Stuart
- The Patrick County Library, has microfilm for Census Records, Slave Schedules, Mortality Schedules, The Enterprise Newspaper, and The Bull Mountain Bugle Newspaper.
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Patrick County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Patrick Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Patrick County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Patrick County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Patrick County
- Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Patrick County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Patrick County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Patrick Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Virginia Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Virginia historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 – 1922 ) (genealogybank.com) Immediately locate names and keywords in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth notices and other items written and published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new articles and other content added each month!
- Patrick County, Virginia Books (amazon.com)
- Search Virginia Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Virginia County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Patrick Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Patrick Co., Virginia Graves (findagrave.com)
- Patrick County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Patrick Co., Virginia Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Patrick Co., Virginia Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Patrick County, Virginia Church Books (amazon.com)
Patrick Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Virginia Penny Postcards (usgwarchives.net)
- Patrick County Pictures (usgwarchives.net)
Patrick Co. VA General and History Websites
- Patrick County Virginia (genealogytrails.com)
- Summary of Patrick County History (woolwinefire.com)
- History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia (search.ancestry.com)
- Patrick County, Virginia Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Patrick County, Virginia Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Patrick Co. VA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Patrick County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Patrick County – American History and Genealogy Project (usgennet.org)
- Patrick County, Virginia (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Virginia – Counties – Patrick (cyndislist.com)
- Patrick Co. VAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Patrick County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Patrick Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Patrick Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Virginia Links and Information
- 1895 Patrick County Map (livgenmi.com)
Patrick Co. VA Military Records
- Virginia Military Records Research Guide
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units (revolutionarywar101.com)
- Virginia Military Records (Fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Virginia both women and men which served. Ideal for genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.