Middlesex County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Middlesex County, Virginia Facts
When was Middlesex County, VA Created?
Middlesex County was established on 1669 from Lancaster County .
What is the County Seat of Middlesex County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Saluda also, the county government website is www.co.middlesex.va.us/.
What counties are adjacent to Middlesex County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Lancaster County, Mathews County, Gloucester County, King and Queen County, Essex County (Northwest).
Middlesex County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Middlesex County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Middlesex County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Middlesex County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Middlesex Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Middlesex County Health Department, 2780 General Puller Hwy., P.O. Box 415, Saluda, VA 23149; 804-758-2381
- Christ Church Parish, Virginia Births, 1653-1812
- Christ Church Parish, Virginia Records, 1653-1812
- Christ Church Parish, Virginia Deaths, 1653-1812
- Christ Church Parish, Virginia Marriages, 1653-1812
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Middlesex County, VA Census Records
What Middlesex County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Middlesex County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Middlesex Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Middlesex Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Middlesex Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Middlesex County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
Middlesex County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Middlesex County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Middlesex County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Middlesex County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P O Box 158, Routes 17 & 33, Courthouse, Saluda, VA 23149
- Phone: (804) 758-5317
- Marriage Records: 1740
- Land Records: 1673
- Court Records: 1673
- Probate Records: 1673
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Middlesex County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Middlesex County, VA?
A list of Middlesex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Middlesex County Museum and Historical Society, Inc., 777 Gen. Puller Hwy., P.O. Box 121, Saluda VA 23149; 804-758-3663
- Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library, 8346 Mary Ball Road, Lancaster, Virginia 22503, (804) 462-7280; We are non-profit organization with an extensive historical and genealogical library with microfilms of all court records available at the Library of Virginia. In addition, we have all known published abstracts of land, court orders and deeds, in addition to the microfilm. We also boast a sizeable military records collection for the Northern Neck. Our focus is on Lancaster, Northumberland, Richmond, Westmoreland, Middlesex and Essex Counties, though we have a large body of material on almost every county in Virginia. Our web site has a a catalogue of over 3,100 items that is searchable by topic, author or title.
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Middlesex County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Middlesex Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Middlesex County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Middlesex County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Middlesex County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Middlesex Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Middlesex Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Middlesex Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Middlesex Co. VA General and History Websites
Middlesex Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Middlesex Co. VA Military Records