James City County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
James City County, Virginia Facts
When was James City County, VA Created?
James City County was established on 1617 as one of the original eight shires.
James City County, VA Vital Records
Where can find James City County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
James City County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for James City County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of James City Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Williamsburg/James City County Office, WIC Clinic, Vital Records, 1126 Professional Drive , Williamsburg, VA 23185; (757) 253-4813
- James City County Virginia Birth Records, 1853-96
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
James City County, VA Census Records
What James City County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for James City County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
James City Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. James City Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. James City Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
James City County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the JamesCity County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in JamesCity County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- James City County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 5201 Monticello Avenue, Suite Six, Williamsburg, VA 23188-8218
- Phone: (757) 564-2242
- Marriage Records: 1865
- Land Records: 1854
- Court Records: 1865
- Probate Records: 1865
- Virginia Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes – County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia’s counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia’s counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library’s collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X – The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
James City County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for James City County, VA?
A list of James City County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- James City County Historical Commission, P.O. Box 8784, Williamsburg, VA 23187-8784
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- James City County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage – Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in James City Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other James City County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Virginia Genealogy Network
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- James City County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in James City County
- James City County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in James City County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to James City County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.