Grainger County, Tennessee
Grainger County, Tennessee Facts
When was Grainger County, TN Created?
What is the County Seat of Grainger County, TN?
What counties are adjacent to Grainger County, TN?
Grainger County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Grainger County Courthouse?
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Grainger County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
- Grainger County Clerk
- Address: PO Box 116, Rutledge, TN 37861
- Phone: 865-828-3511
- Marriage Records: 1796
- Probate Records: 1833 (A few earlier ones in WP)
- Grainger County Register of Deeds
- Address: P. O. Box 174, Rutledge, TN 37861
- Phone: (865) 828-3523
- Land & Deed Records: 1796
- Grainger County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P.O. Box 157, Rutledge, TN 37861-0157
- Phone: 865-828-3605
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1848
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1810
- County Court Minutes: 1796
Where can find Grainger County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Grainger County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Grainger County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Grainger County, TN census records are available?
Grainger Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grainger Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grainger Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Grainger County, TN?
- Grainger County Archives, P.O. Box 408, Rutledge , TN 37861; Phone: (865) 850-8549
Grainger County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Grainger County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Grainger County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Grainger County
- Grainger County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Genealogical “Fact Sheets” About Grainger County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Grainger County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Grainger County.
What other genealogical resources are available in Grainger County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Grainger County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Grainger County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.