Jones County, South Dakota
Jones County was established on January 15, 1917 (organized in 1917) from Lyman County.
Currently the Jones County Seat is located in Murdo and the county government website is unknown
Jones County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1920, 1930, 1940. There are free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help with your research.
Jones County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Jones County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Murdo Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 441, Murdo SD 57559
- Jones County, South Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Jones County, South Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Jones County (usgwarchives.net)
Jones County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the benefits of Jones County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in South Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of the many South Dakota residents.
The odds are very good that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Jones County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
- Haakon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 310 Main St, Murdo, SD 57559
- Phone: (605) 669-2361
- Jones County Register of Deeds
- Marriage Records: 1917
- Land Records: 1917?
- Jones County Clerk of Court.
- Probate Records: 1917?
- Court Records: 1917?
- South Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Jones County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Jones County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Jones County genealogy or family history associated sites.