South Carolina History & Facts
Darlington County, South Carolina Facts
When was Darlington County, SC Created?
Darlington County was established on 1785 from Cheraws District and until 1800 it remained a part of the Cheraws District.
Darlington County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Darlington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Darlington County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Darlington County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Darlington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Darlington County, SC Census Records
What Darlington County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Darlington Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Darlington Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Darlington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Darlington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Darlington County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Darlington County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Darlington County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Darlington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Public Square, Darlington, South Carolina 29532
- Darlington County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (843) 398-4310 or (843) 398-4311
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1783
- Darlington County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds
- Phone: (843) 398-4330
- Land Records: 1803
- Court Records: 1801
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Darlington County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Darlington County, SC?
A list of Darlington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Old Darlington Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 175, Hartsville 29551-1075
- Darlington County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 175, Hartsville 29551
- Darlington County Historical Society, P. O. Box 546, Darlington, SC 29532; Telephone: (843) 398-4940
- Darlington County Historical Commission, 204 Hewitt St., Darlington,SC 29532; 843-398-4710
- Hartsville Museum, PO Box 431, 222 North Fifth Street, Hartsville, SC 29551
- USGenWeb Archives for Darlington County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Darlington County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Darlington County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Darlington County
- Darlington County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Darlington County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Darlington County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.