Richland County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Richland County, Ohio Facts
When was Richland County, OH Created?
Richland County was created on March 1, 1808 from Franklin County and Knox County (Organized in 1813). This county was named for the Descriptive of the soil in the area .
What is the County Seat of Richland County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Mansfield also, the county government website is www.richlandcountyoh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Richland County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Huron County, Ashland County, Knox County, Morrow County, Crawford County .
Richland County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Richland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Richland County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Richland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Richland County, OH Census Records
What Richland County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Richland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Richland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Richland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Richland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Richland County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Richland County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Richland County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Richland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Richland County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Richland County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Richland County, OH?
A list of Richland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Richland County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 3823, Mansfield, OH 44907-0823; Richland County Chapter, OGS meets at 7:30pm on the fourth Thursday of the month (except July and November.) Meeting places are announced in the newsletter. This OGS Chapter does not have a library. Materials about Richland County are being preserved. The Chapter's collection includes old slides and photos of Mansfield that can be viewed by appointment with a chapter officer. For Richland County research, use the Ohio Genealogical Society Library.
- Richland-Shelby Chapter, OGS, 611 State Route 97 West, Bellville OH 44813; Phone: (419) 347-6943; Richland-Shelby Chapter, OGS meets at the The First Church of God, 3616 St Rt 39S (just south of Shelby) at 7:00pm on the first Thursday of each month except July and August. The Richland County & Shelby Genealogical Society traces family ancestry and cultivates an interest in local and national history.
- Richland County Historical Society, 310 Springmill St, Mansfield, OH 44903; Phone: (419) 524-0831; The Richland County Historical Society operates Oak Hill Cottage, an example of Gothic style architecture. The Cottage contains furnishings and artifacts of a family's life circa 1847.
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 611 St Rt 97 W, Bellville, OH 44813; Phone: (419) 886-1903; The Ohio Genealogical Society's Library's holdings include more than 40,000 volumes relating to Ohio pioneers, Ohio census records and indexes, lineage, papers and more. They offer manuscripts, microfilm, CDs, databases on website, four journals, annual conference, and more.
- Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society, 167 Main St, Bellville, OH 44813-1239; Phone: (419) 886-3571; The Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society meets monthly and presents a program of historical significance and has exhibits.
- Butler-Clearfork Valley Historical Society , PO Box 186, 43 Elm St, Butler, OH 44822-0186; Phone: (419) 989-1679; The Butler-Clearfork Valley Historical Society offers 6,000 sq ft of displays dealing with local history as well as permanent collections of antique toys, wood carvings, decorative arts, and fine arts.
- Historic Preservation Commission Of Mansfield , 30 N Diamond St, Mansfield, OH 44902-1702; Phone: (419) 755-9793; The Historic Preservation Commission of Mansfield has twelve commissioners. Its jurisdiction is The Boulevards, Sherman Estate, and Local Landmarks Historic Districts. Activities include Landmark Designation, Design Review, Surveys, Plaque or Marker Program, Publications, Tours, Awards Program, and Grants.
- Plymouth Area Historical Society, 7 E Main St, Plymouth, OH 44865-1201; Phone: (419) 687-5400; The Plymouth Area Historical Society operates the Plymouth Heritage Center. The Society exhibits doctor's equipment and manufacturers' information on the first Plymouth car, Silver King Tractors, corn shellers, Plymouth locomotives, and Clay machines. A microfilm reader on the site offers access to microfilmed copies of the area newspaper, THE PLYMOUTH ADVERTISER.
- Shiloh Area Historical Society , 105 W Main St, Crestline, OH 448781445; Phone: (419) 683-1904; The Shiloh Area Historical Society maintains a museum with displays of artifacts of the area that includes Shiloh, Rome, Shenandoah, and Ganges.
- Sons of the Union Vets, Camp #12, PO Box 545, Mansfield, OH 44901-0545; Phone: (419) 522-3318; The Sons of the Union Veterans is a national organization of the male descendants of honorably discharged Union Army veterans of the Civil War. Camp #12 is named after General William McLaughlin from Mansfield.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Richland County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Richland County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Richland County.
Richland Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Richland Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Richland Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Richland Co. OH General and History Websites
Richland Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Richland Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Richland Co. OH Military Records
Richland Co., OH Schools & Directories