Athens County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Athens County, Ohio Facts
Athens County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Athens County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Athens County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Athens County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Athens County, OH Census Records
What Athens County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Athens County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Athens Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Athens Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Athens Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Athens County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Athens County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Athens County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Athens County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Athens County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Athens 45701-2888
- Phone: (740) 592-3242
- Athens County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: 1 S. Court Street, 4th Floor; Athens, OH 45701
- Phone: (740)592-3242
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1800
- Athens County Recorder
- Address: 15 S. Court Street – Room 236, Athens, Ohio 45701
- Phone: (740) 592-3228
- Land Records: 1792
- Athens County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Address: ?
- Phone: ?
- Court Records: 1807
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Athens County USGenWeb Archives Project
Athens County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Athens County, OH?
A list of Athens County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Athens County Chapter, OGS, 65 N. Court St., Athens, OH 45701-2506; meets usually at 65 N. Court St., Athens, OH, on the third Monday of each month. There are no meetings in July and August. Dates and sites of meeting change at times. Operating as a division of the Athens County Historical Society and Museum, the Chapter collects Bible records, generation charts, and family histories. It maintains a research library and provides limited research assistance. Additionally it sponsors both the First Families of Athens County and the newly organized Pioneers of Athens County.
- Athens County Historical Society & Museum, 65 N Court St, Athens, OH 45701-2506; Phone: (740) 592-2280; The Athens County Historical Society & Museum collects, preserves, and exhibits interactively the material culture found in the histroy of Athens County and its citizens. ACHS&M also provides local history programming and genealogy research assistance.
- Robert E. & Jean R. Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections at Ohio University, Alden Library, 30 Park Place, Athens, OH 45701-2978; Phone: (740) 593-2710
- Shade-Lodi History and Genealogy Association, 14611 Ruth Rd, Athens, OH 45701-9088; Phone: (740) 696-0070
- Western estern Washington County Historical Society, 17050 Murphy Rd, Amesville, OH 45711-3907
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Athens County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Athens County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Athens County
- Athens County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Athens County
What other genealogical resources are available in Athens County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Athens County.