Allen County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Allen County, Ohio Facts
When was Allen County, OH Created?
Allen County was created on March 1, 1820 from Shelby County and unorganized land (organized in 1831). This county was named for John Allen (1771/2-1813), a War of 1812 colonel.
Allen County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Allen County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Allen County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Allen County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Allen County, OH Census Records
What Allen County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Allen County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Allen Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allen Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allen Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Allen County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Allen County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Allen County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Allen County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Allen County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 N. Main St., Lima 45801-4456
- Phone: (419) 228-3700
- Allen County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (419)223-8501
- Marriage Records: 1831 – Present
- Birth & Death Records: 1867 – 1908
- Probate Records: 1835 – Present
- Allen County Recorder
- Phone: 419-223-8517
- Land Records: 1831
- Allen County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone:(419) 228-3700
- Court Records: 1831
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Allen County USGenWeb Archives Project
Allen County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Allen County, OH?
A list of Allen County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Allen County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1104, Lima OH, 45802; Allen County Chapter, OGS meets at the Elizabeth M. MacDonell Memorial Library of the Allen County Historical Society and Museum, 620 W. Market St., Lima, OH, on the third Sunday of each month, except August and December. First Families induction in July. They meet at 1:45pm.
- Allen County Historical Society, 620 W Market St, Lima, OH 45801-4604; Phone: (419) 222-9426; The Allen County Historical Society maintains a museum with exhibits on natural history, history, and art.
- Daughters of the American Revolution-Ohio Society, 5253 Willow Dr, Lima, OH 45807-1337
- Spencerville Historical Society, PO Box 8, Spencerville, OH 45887-0008; Phone: (419) 236-7913
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Allen County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Allen County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Allen County
- Allen County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Allen County
What other genealogical resources are available in Allen County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Allen County.