Mountrail County, North Dakota
Mountrail County was established on January 04, 1871 from Ward County.
The Mountrail County Seat is situated in Stanley and the county government website is unknown
Townships include Alger, Austin, Banner, Bicker, Big Bend, Brookbank, Burke, Clearwater, Cottonwood, Crane Creek, Crowfoot, Debing, Egan, Fertile, Howie, Idaho, James Hill, Kickapoo, Knife River, Liberty, Lostwood, Lowland, Manitou, McAlmond, McGahan, Model, Mountrail, Myrtle, Oakland, Osborn, Osloe, Palermo, Parshall, Plaza, Powers, Powers Lake, Purcell, Rat Lake, Redmond, Ross, Shell, Sidonia, Sikes, Sorkness, Spring Coulee, Stave, Van Hook, Wayzetta, White Earth.
Mountrail County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mountrail Co. Mountrail Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Mountrail Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Mountrail Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Mountrail County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Mountrail County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mountrail County Historical Society, P. O. Box 582, Stanley, ND 58784, 701-628-2772
- New Town Historical Society, P. O. Box 342, New Town, ND 58763-0342, 701-627-3518
- Plaza Community Museum, P. O. Box 65, Plaza, ND 58771, 701-497-3454
- Flickertail Village Museum, Hwy. 2, P. O. Box 718, Stanley, ND 58784, 701-628-2802
- Three Affiliated Tribes Museum, P. O. Box 147 , New Town, ND 58763, 701-627-4477
- Mouse River Loop Genealogy Society, P. O. Box 1391, Minot, ND 58701-1391
- Mountrail County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Mountrail County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Mountrail County (usgwarchives.net)
Mountrail County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Mountrail County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Mountrail County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
- Mountrail County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 N Main St, Stanley, ND 58784
- Phone: (701)628-2935
- Mountrail County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Land Records: 1909
- Mountrail County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1909
- Probate Records: 1909
- Court Records: 1909
- Mountrail County Register of Deeds / Recorder / Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents; keeping a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership.
- Marriage Records: ?
- Land Records: ?
- Probate Records: ?
- Court Records: ?
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Mountrail County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Mountrail County. Feel free to provide your own favorite Mountrail County genealogy or family history related sites.