McKenzie County, North Dakota
McKenzie County was established on May 24, 1901 (organized in 1905) from Stark County.
The McKenzie County Seat is situated in Watford City and the county government website is unknown
Townships include Alex, Antelope Creek, Arnegard, Blue Butte, Charbon, Elm Tree, Grail, Grassy Butte, Hawkeye, Keene, Randolph, Riverview, Sioux, Tri, Twin Valley, Yellowstone..
McKenzie County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
McKenzie County Society and Family History Resources
A list of McKenzie County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- McKenzie County Museum & Historical Society, Inc., 11542 Highway 23, Watford City, ND 58854
- Lewis and Clark Trail Museum, P. O. Box 343, Alexander, ND 58831-0343, 701-828-3595
- McKenzie County Heritage Association, P. O. Box 512, Watford City, ND 58854
- Old Sod Post Office of Grassy Butte, 609 Main St., Grassy Butte, ND 58634, 701-863-6754
- Pioneer Museum of McKenzie County, P. O. Box 126, Watford City, ND 58854-0126, 701-444-2990 or 701-444-5804
- McKenzie County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- McKenzie County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for McKenzie County (usgwarchives.net)
McKenzie County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of McKenzie County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the McKenzie County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and court records are usually in McKenzie County. The years indicated listed below are the first known records in this county. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library. In 1901 McKenzie was re-created but remained attached to Stark until it was fully organized in 1905.
- McKenzie County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 5th St NW, Watford City, ND 58854
- Phone: (701) 842-3452
- McKenzie County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Land Records: 1905
- McKenzie County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1906
- Probate Records: 1905
- Court Records: 1905
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
McKenzie County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to McKenzie ounty. Feel free to provide your own favorite McKenzie County genealogy or family history related sites.