Grand Forks County, North Dakota
Grand Forks County was established on January 04, 1873 (organized in 1875) from Pembina County.
Townships include Agnes, Allendale, Americus, Arvilla, Avon, Bentru, Blooming, Brenna, Chester, Elkmount, Elm Grove, Fairfield, Falconer, Ferry, Gilby, Grace, Grand Forks, Hegton, Inkster, Johnstown, Lakeville, Larimore, Levant, Lind, Logan Center, Loretta, Mekinock, Michigan, Moraine, Niagara, Northwood, Oakville, Pleasant View, Plymouth, Rye, Strabane, Turtle River, Union, Walle, Washington, Wheatfield.
Grand Forks County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Grand Forks Co. Grand Forks Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Grand Forks Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Grand Forks Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Grand Forks County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Grand Forks County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Grand Forks County Historical Society 2405 Belmont Rd, Grand Forks, ND 58201, 701-775-2216
- Grand Forks Historic Preservation Commission, P. O. Box 13876, Grand Forks, ND 58208-3876, 701-772-8756
- Elwyn B. Robinson Department of Special Collections, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota PO BOX 9000, Grand Forks, ND 58202-9000, 701-777-4625
- Larimore Community Museum & Historical Society, 1865 39th Street NE, Larimore, ND 58251, 701-343-2238
- Manvel Historical Society, 2890 15th St NE, Manvel, ND 58256-9754
- Minnkota Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 12744, Grand Forks, ND 58208-2744
- Niagara Community Historical Society, P. O. Box 26, Niagara, ND 58266, 701-397-5830
- Northwood Pioneer Museum & Historical Association, P. O. Box 111, Northwood, ND 58267
- Reynolds Historical Society, RR 1 Box 1G, Reynolds, ND 58275
- Grand Forks County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Grand Forks County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Grand Forks County (usgwarchives.net)
Grand Forks County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Grand Forks County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Grand Forks County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following specifics denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and court records are usually in Grand Forks County. The years indicated listed below are the first known records in this county. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.Coroner’s records and inquests for deaths; county judge has index to marriage certificates from 1875.
- Grand Forks County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 124 S 4th St, Grand Forks, ND 58201
- Phone: (701) 787-2715
- Grand Forks County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Land Records: 1887
- Grand Forks County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1873 (Coroner’s records and inquests for deaths; county judge has index to marriage certificates from 1875)
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1873
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Grand Forks County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Grand Forks County. Feel free to provide your own favorite Grand Forks County genealogy or family history related sites.