Burleigh County, North Dakota
Burleigh County was established on January 04, 1873 from Buffalo County (now in South Dakota).
Townships include Apple Creek, Boyd, Canfield, Christiania, Clear Lake, Crofte, Cromwell, Driscoll, Ecklund, Estherville, Florence Lake, Francis, Ghylin, Gibbs, Glenview, Grass Lake, Harriet-Lien, Hay Creek, Hazel Grove, Logan, Long Lake, McKenzie, Menoken, Missouri, Moffit, Morton, Naughton, Painted Woods, Richmond, Rock Hill, Schrunk, Sibley Butte, Steiber, Sterling, Taft, Telfer, Thelma, Trygg, Wild Rose, Wilson, Wing.
Burleigh County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Burleigh Co. Burleigh Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Burleigh Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Burleigh Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Burleigh County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Burleigh County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bismarck-Mandan Historical and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 485, Bismarck, ND 58502-0485; As one of three genealogical societies producing publications, this association makes state research possible through the Historical Research Library. Other societies at Fargo (Red River Valley Genealogical Society) and Minot (Mouse River Loop Genealogical Society ) have a more limited scope.
- North Dakota State Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 485, Bismarck, ND 58502-0485, 701-223-6273
- Germans From Russia Heritage Society, 1125 Turnpike Ave., Bismarck, ND 58501-8115, 701-223-6167
- Missouri Valley Historical Society, c/o Carl Vender, Buckstop Junction , P. O. Box 941, Bismarck, ND 58502-0941, 701-258-6787 or 701-250-8575
- Society for the Preservation of the Former Governors’ Mansion, c/o Bruce Hagen, 108 Riverside Park Rd, Bismarck, ND 58504, 701-222-8575
- Former Governors’ Mansion State Historic Site, c/o Johnathan Campbell, 612 East Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, ND 58501, 701-328-2666
- Camp Hancock State Historic Site, 101 W. Main Ave., Bismarck, ND 58501, 701-328-2666
- Burleigh County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Burleigh County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Burleigh County (usgwarchives.net)
Burleigh County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Burleigh County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Burleigh County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
- Burleigh County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 514 E Thayer Ave, Bismarck, ND 58501
- Phone: (701) 222-6690
- Burleigh County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Land Records: 1873
- Burleigh County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1898
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1873
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Burleigh County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Burleigh County. Feel free to provide your own favorite Burleigh County genealogy or family history related sites.