Billings County, North Dakota
Billings County was established on February 10, 1879 (organized in 1886) from Dakota Territory.
Townships include Medora.
Billings County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Billings Co. Billings Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Billings Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Billings Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Billings County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Billings County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Billings County Historical Society Museum, P. O. Box 364, Medora, ND 58645, 701-623-4829
- Chateau de Mores State Historic Site, P. O. Box 106, Medora, ND 58645, 701-623-4355 or 701-328-2666
- North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame, Inc., 120 N. 3rd St., Suite 85, Bismarck, ND 58501-3860, 701-250-1833 or 701-623-2000 (Medora)
- Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park – South Unit, , P. O. Box 7, Medora, ND 58645, 701-623-4466
- Billings County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Billings County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Billings County (usgwarchives.net)
Billings County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Billings County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Billings County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
- Billings County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 495 4th St, Medora, ND 58645
- Phone: (701) 623-4491
- Billings County Register of Deeds / Recorder / Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents; keeping a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership.
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Land Records: 1879
- Probate Records: 1879
- Court Records: 1879
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Billings County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Billings County. Feel free to provide your own favorite Billings County genealogy or family history related sites.