Barnes County, North Dakota
Barnes County was established on January 14, 1875 from Cass County (originally called Burbank County, renamed as Barnes in 1875).
Townships include Alta, Anderson, Ashtabula, Baldwin, Binghampton, Brimer, Cuba, Dazey, Eckelson, Edna, Ellsbury, Getchell, Grand Prairie, Green, Greenland, Hemen, Hobart, Lake Town, Mansfield, Marsh, Meadow Lake, Minnie Lake, Nelson, Noltimier, Norma, Oakhill, Oriska, Pierce, Potter, Raritan, Rogers, Rosebud, Sibley Trail, Skandia, Spring Creek, Springvale, Stewart, Svea, Thordenskjold, Uxbridge, Valley, Weimer.
Barnes County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Barnes Co. Barnes Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Barnes Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Barnes Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Barnes County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Barnes County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barnes County Historical Society, c/o Wes Anderson, 315 Central Ave. N., Valley City, ND 58072-0661, 701-845-0966
- Litchville Community Museum, c/o Eugene Olson, 5499 107th Avenue SE, Litchville ND 58461, 701-762-3694
- Nome Community Historical Assoc., Inc., c/o Richard Birklid, 12128 59th Street SE, Nome, ND 58062, 701-924-8303
- President’s House Preservation Society, c/o Becky Heise, 940 6th St. SW, Valley City, ND 58072, 701-845-3617
- Wimbledon Community Museum, Inc., c/o Les Koll, Pres, P. O. Box 223, Wimbledon, ND 58492, 701-435-2239
- Barnes County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Barnes County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Barnes County (usgwarchives.net)
Barnes County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Barnes County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Barnes County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
- Barnes County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 491 2nd Ave NW, Valley City, ND 58072
- Phone: (701) 845-8512
- Barnes County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Birth / Death Records: 1893–1910
- Land Records: 1875
- Barnes County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1882
- Probate Records: 1875
- Court Records: 1875
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Barnes County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Barnes County. Feel free to provide your own favorite Barnes County genealogy or family history related sites.