Queens County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Queens County, New York Facts
When was Queens County, NY Created?
Queens County was created on November 01, 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in the New York colony.
What is the County Seat of Queens County, NY?
The County Seat is located in New York City / Borough of Queens and in addition the county government website is queensbp.org
What counties are adjacent to Queens County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Bronx County, Nassau County, New York County, Kings County.
Queens County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Queens County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Queens County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Queens County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Queens County, NY Census Records
What Queens County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Queens County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Queens Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Queens Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Queens Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Queens County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Queens County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Queens County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Queens County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Queens County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Queens County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 120-55 Queens Boulevard, Kew Gardens, NY 11424
- Queens County Clerk
- Address: 88-11 Sutphin Blvd., Jamaica, New York 11435
- Phone: 718-298-0609
- Land Records: 1683
- Court Records: 1683
- Queens County Surrogate Court Clerk Most or all pre-1830 surrogate’s files were lost or destroyed.
- Address: 88-11 Sutphin Blvd., Jamaica, New York 11435
- Phone: 718-298-0400 or 718-298-0500
- Probate Records: 1787
- New York City Registrar, Borough of Queens , Queens Business Center, 144-06 94th Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11435
- Queens County Historian
- New York, Orange County Probate Records, 1787-1938
- New York, Queens County Probate Records, 1899-1921
- Town minutes of Newtown
- Minutes of the town courts of Newtown : 1656-1690
- Documents and letters intended to illustrate the revolutionary incidents of Queens County
- Select patents of New York towns
- Records in the office of the county clerk at Jamaica, Long Island, New York
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Queens County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Queens County, NY?
A list of Queens County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Queens Historical Society (QHS), Kingsland Homestead, Weeping Beech Park, 143-35 37th Avenue, Flushing, New York 11354, Phone: 718-939-0647 ext. 17; Their collection includes the history of Queens in photographs, manuscripts, maps and artworks. Family manuscript collections include(soon to be put online): the Mitchell Family Papers, the King Family Papers, the Clara Driscoll/Walcott Family Papers and the Diary of William King Murray. The Quarterly publication is the AHS Newsletter.
- Bayside Historical Society, 208 Totten Avenue , Fort Totten, New York 11359, Mailing:, PO Box 133, Bayside, New York 11361, Phone: 718-352-1548; It is free to research at their facility regardless of membership. Their quarterly publication is the Society News
- Broad Channel Historical Society, Broad Channel Branch Library, 1626 Crossbay Boulevard, Broad Channel, New York 11693, Phone: 718-474-1127; Annual publication: Broad Channel Historical Calendar,
- Douglaston and Little Neck Historical Society, 328 Manor Road, Douglaston, New York 11363, Phone: 718-225-4403
- Greater Astoria Historical Society, Quinn Memorial Building, 35-20 Broadway, Fourth Floor, Long Island City, New York 11103-1193, Phone: 718-278-0700
- The Richmond Hill Historical Society, 86-22 109th Street, Richmond Hill, New York 11418, Phone: 718-704-9317
- Queens Genealogy Workshop, 1820 Flushing Avenue, Ridgewood, NY 11385;
- Queens Borough Public Library, 89-11 Merrick Blvd., Jamaica, NY 11432;
718-456-1776; Censuses, city and telephone directories, immigrant lists, newspapers, periodicals, family histories.
- LaGuardia Community College/CUNY, Fiorello H.LaGuardia & Wagner Archives, 31-10 Thomason Avenue, Room E-238, Long Island City, New York 11101;
Phone: 718-626-5078 or 718-482-5065
- Queens County Farm Museum, 73-50 Little Neck Parkway, Floral Park, NY 11004-1129, Phone: (718) 347-3276
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Queens County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Queens County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Queens County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Queens Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Queens Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide
- New York City, Dutch Church Burials (search.ancestry.com)
- Springfield, Jamaica, Queens County, Long Island, New York Cemetery : 1735 or 1760 to 1909 (search.ancestry.com)
- Description of private and family cemeteries in the borough of Queens (search.ancestry.com)
- Cemeteries in Kings and Queens Counties, Long Island, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Queens Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Queens County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Queens Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Queens Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide
- Two centuries in the history of the Presbyterian Church, Jamaica, L.I. : the oldest existing church, of the Presbyterian name, (search.ancestry.com)
- First Presbyterian Church of Jamaica, New York, 1662-1942 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Queens County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Queens Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Queens Co. NY General and History Websites
Queens Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Queens Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Queens Co. NY Military Records