Nassau County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Nassau County, New York Facts
When was Nassau County, NY Created?
Nassau County was created on 1899 from Queens County.
What is the County Seat of Nassau County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Mineola and in addition the county government website is www.nassaucountyny.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Nassau County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Suffolk County, Queens County.
Nassau County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Nassau County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Nassau County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Nassau County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- Marriage records, Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York : register of marriages performed by the Rev. Marmaduke Earle, 1793-1855 :
- Quaker marriages, Jericho Monthly Meeting, Long Island, New York
- Marriages recorded at Reformed Dutch Church, Manhasset, Long Island : 1785-1878, also a few deaths 1841-1878
- Bethpage and Farmingdale, town of Oyster Bay, Queens County, now Nassau County, Long Island, New York : three cemeteries, 1832-
- Marriages by Rev. Henry Hermance at Reformed Dutch Church of North Hempstead, Long Island (formerly Success) : 1826-1859
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Nassau County, NY Census Records
What Nassau County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Nassau County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Nassau County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Nassau County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Nassau County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Nassau County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Nassau County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Nassau County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Nassau County, NY?
A list of Nassau County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Nassau County Historical Society, Box 207, Garden City, NY 11530 , Phone: 516-538-7679; The Nassau County Historical Society Journal is the offical publication and released annually. The Society has no research staff
- Long Island Studies Institute, Joan And Donald E. Axinn Library, Room 032, 123 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549-1230;
Phone: 516-463-6411; Has Nassau County Historical Society collection of books and manuscripts
- Baldwin Public Library , 2385 Grand Avenue, Baldwin, NY 11510-3289, Phone: 516-223-6228;The library houses obituaries for local newspapers. The Baldwin History room houses history books on Nassau County and Baldwin as well as Suffolk, Queens, Kings, and New York Counties. Collections include journals, photographs, school records, directories, and yearbooks. Baldwin History room open by appointment only.
- The Bryant Library, 2 Paper Mill Road, Roslyn, NY 11576 , Phone: 516-621-2240; Bryant Room houses the local history collection that includes 19th and 20th century books, mapts, photographs,newspaper clippings, letters and documents. They also have a special collection that includes materials on William Cullen Bryant, Clarence H. Mackay and Christopher Morley. List of collections.,
- Hofstra University Library, Joan & Donald E. Axinn Library, Special Collections Department, Room 032, Hempstead, NY 11549-1000, Phone: 516-463-6158; Has the historical and genealogical collections of the Nassau County Historical Society, Oceanside Historical Society Collection (now defunct), Nassau County Museum Reference Collection, family history collections, newspapers, and photographs.,
- Glen Cove Public Library , 4 Glen Cove Avenue, Glen Cove, NY 11542-2885, Phone: 516-676-2130; The Robert R. Coles Long Island History Room contains books; periodical series; artifacts; pamphlets; maps; microfilmed documents; records and manuscripts, and microfilm of local newspapers for the local area. The room has limited hours. Digital collection.,
- Port Washington Public Library, One Library Drive, Port Washington, NY 11050, Phone: 516-883-440 x167; The library has a Local History Center containing digital collections and onsite marterial including newspapers, histories, maps, and manuscripts.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Nassau County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Nassau County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Nassau County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Nassau Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Nassau Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Nassau Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Nassau Co. NY General and History Websites
Nassau Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Nassau Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Nassau Co. NY Military Records