Monroe County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Monroe County, New York Facts
When was Monroe County, NY Created?
Monroe County was created on February 23, 1821 from Genesee County and Ontario County.
What is the County Seat of Monroe County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Rochester and in addition the county government website is www.monroecounty.gov
What counties are adjacent to Monroe County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Lake Ontario and Canada, Wayne County, Ontario County, Livingston County, Orleans County, Genesee County.
Monroe County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Monroe County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Monroe County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Monroe County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
You can also get vital records from the Monroe County Department of Health, 111 Westfall Road, Rochester, NY 14692; (585) 274-6140; The Health Department has birth and death records since 1880 for $11.00 fee. Marriage records are still with the Town Clerks or the Rochester Records Management Office in the City of Rochester.
Monroe County, NY Census Records
What Monroe County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Monroe County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Monroe Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Monroe Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Monroe Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Monroe County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Monroe County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Monroe County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Monroe County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Monroe County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Monroe County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 39 W. Main St., Rochester, NY 14614
- Monroe County Clerk
- Phone: 585 753-1600
- Land Records: 1821
- Court Records: 1821
- Monroe County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 99 Exchange Blvd., Rochester, NY 14614
- Phone: (585) 428-5200
- Probate Records: 1824
- Monroe County Historian
- Address: 3690 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14618
- Phone: 585-385-8244
- Monroe County, New York, abstracts of wills
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Monroe County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Monroe County, NY?
A list of Monroe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pioneer Society of Rochester and Western N.Y. was created Sept., 31, 1847 in Rochester. The organization faded after 1870. This site lists the members in 1847, 1854, 1866, and those listed in newspapers.
- Rochester Historical Society, Rundel Memorial Building, 115 South Avenue, Rochester, New York 14604; (585) 428-8470; has books, manuscripts, prints, photographs, etc.
- Rochester Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10501, Rochester 14610-0501
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Western Monroe Historical Society, Brockport, New York, has an extensive collection of local history records.
- Monroe County Library System, has an online catalog, Genealogy Resources,Digital Collections, Local History Resources, Pathfinders
- Cox Local History Room of the Scottsville Free Library, Scottsville, New York, has genealogy files of local families, an index to cemeteries of Wheatland, histories of the area, maps, etc.
- High Falls Heritage Area, Rochester, New York, has information about the area history, geography, commerce and culture.
- Monroe County Public Libraries
- Rochester Records Management Office, 414 Andrews St., Rochester, NY; (716) 428-7331; This is the archives for the city of Rochester and they have the original marriage records for 1876 - 1967. These records are indexed 1876 - 1907 and may be searched in person. They also have a collection of Rochester City directories and the government records for the city. They would like to have you call for an appointment.
- The Rochester Historical Society handbook (search.ancestry.com)
- Records and Archives room (monroecounty.gov) of Monroe County has a significant collection of drawings of construction jobs dating back to the 1870s and many aerial photographs.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Monroe County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Monroe County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Monroe County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Monroe Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Monroe Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
Monroe Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Monroe Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Monroe County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A survey of the character building agencies of Rochester, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- A major street plan for Rochester, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- A contribution toward a bibliography on Rochester, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Annotated bibliography of periodical references on Rochester, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Rochester imprints, 1819-1850 : in libraries outside of Rochester, an informal checklist (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Rochester and Monroe County, New York : from the earliest historic times to the beginning of 1907 (search.ancestry.com)
- Semi-centennial history of the city of Rochester : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- Rochester Theological Seminary general catalogue 1850 to 1920 (search.ancestry.com)
- Rochester : a story historical (search.ancestry.com)
- Monroe County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Monroe Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Monroe County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Monroe (cyndislist.com)
- Monroe County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Monroe Co. NYGenweb (mcnygenealogy.com)
- Monroe County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Monroe Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Monroe Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Monroe Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Monroe Co. NY Military Records
Monroe Co. NY Schools & Directories
- Rochester, New York Directory, 1888-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Rochester Monthly Meeting, Monroe County, New York: Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of Bethel Free Church, Washington Street Church, Central Presbyterian Church and Central Presbyterian Church. (search.ancestry.com)
- Dau's blue book of selected names of Rochester and suburban towns : containing the names and addresses of prominent residents, (search.ancestry.com)
- Handbook of social agencies (search.ancestry.com)
- Rochester, N.Y., the city of varied industries : directory of manufacturers. (search.ancestry.com)
- Gazetteer and business directory of Monroe County, N.Y. for 1869-70 (search.ancestry.com)