Kings County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Kings County, New York Facts
When was Kings County, NY Created?
Kings County was created on November 1, 1683 as One of 12 original counties created in the New York colony.
What is the County Seat of Kings County, NY?
The County Seat is located in New York City , Brooklyn and in addition the county government website is http://brooklyn-usa.org/
What counties are adjacent to Kings County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Richmond County, New York County, Queens County.
Kings County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Kings County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Kings County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Kings County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- New York City, Deaths, 1892-1902
- Brooklyn, New York Catholic Church Marriage Records, 1839-1900
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Kings County, NY Census Records
What Kings County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Kings County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kings Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kings Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kings Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Kings County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Kings County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Kings County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Kings County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Kings County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Many Surrogate’s files before about 1870 are now at the NYC Archives and on microfilm at the Family History Library.
- Kings County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 209 Joralemon Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Kings County Clerk
- Address: 360 Adams Street, Room 189, Window #6, Brooklyn, New York 11201-3712
- Phone: 347-404-9772
- Land Records: 1683
- Court Records: 1683
- Kings County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 2 Johnson Street, Room 109, Brooklyn, New York 11201
- Phone: 347-404-9700
- Probate Records: 1787
- Kings County (Brooklyn Borough) Historian
- Address: Brooklyn Borough Hall, 209 Joralemon Street, New York, NY 11201
- Phone: 718-802-3700
- Index of wills probated in Kings County, New York
- Titles to land and land under water at Sea Gate, New York Harbor
- AJHS Brooklyn Hebrew Orphan Asylum Records, 1878-1969
- New York, Kings County Estate Files, 1866-1923
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Kings County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Kings County, NY?
A list of Kings County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Brooklyn Historical Society Library, 128 Pierrepont Street at Clinton Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201, 718-222-4111; Genealogical resources: City directories, wills, scrapbooks, atlases, vital records, censuses, family histories.
- The Gravesend Historical Society, P.O. Box 1643, Gravesend Station, Gravesend, New York 11223, Phone: 718-375-6831
- Kingsborough Historical Society, Kingsborough Community College, 2001 Oreintal boulevard, Brooklyn, New York 11235, Phone: 718-934-3122
- Brooklyn Public Library, Central Branch, 10 Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, New York 11238 , Phone: 718-230-2100
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Kings County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Kings County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Kings County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Kings Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Kings Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide
- Web: Brooklyn, New York, Green-Wood Cemetery Burial Index (search.ancestry.com)
- New York City, Dutch Church Burials (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions from Gravesend Cemetery, Brooklyn, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Cemeteries in Kings and Queens Counties, Long Island, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Dutch Reformed Cemetery, Flatbush, Kings County, New York : 1754 per 1913 (search.ancestry.com)
- Kings Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Kings County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Kings Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Kings Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide
- Proceedings of the Advisory Council of Congregational Churches and Ministers (search.ancestry.com)
- Brooklyn, New York Catholic Church Baptism Records, 1837-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York City, Lutheran Church Records, 1834-1854 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Kings County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Kings Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Kings Co. NY General and History Websites
Kings Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Kings Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kings Co. NY Military Records
Kings Co. NY Schools & Directories