Colfax County, New Mexico
Colfax County was founded on January 25, 1869 from Mora County.
Colfax County vital records can be found at the New Mexico Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Mexico for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Colfax County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New Mexico Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Colfax County has Federal Census Schedules to aid in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Colfax Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Colfax Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Colfax Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You’ll find free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Colfax County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Colfax County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New Mexico Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- New Mexico State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Arthur Johnson Memorial Public Library, 244 Cook Ave., Raton, New Mexico, 87740. Phone: 505-445-9711.
- Cimarron Historical Society, Les Davis, Cimarron, New Mexico, 87714.
- Raton Family History Center, 2136 La Mesa Drive, Raton, New Mexico, 87740. Phone 505-445-9226.
- Genealogical Club of Angel Fire, P.O. Box 503, Angel Fire, New Mexico, 87710.
- Raton Museum, Roger Sanchez, 218 S. First, Raton, New Mexico, 87740. Phone 505-445-8979.
- Santa Fe Trail Museum, 606 Maxwell Ave., Springer, New Mexico, 87747. Phone: 505-483-5554 or 505-483-0474.
- Colfax County, New Mexico Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Colfax County, New Mexico Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Colfax County (usgwarchives.net)
Colfax County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the significance of Colfax County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Buried away in New Mexico courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of many New Mexico inhabitants.
The chances are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Colfax County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
The below details indicates what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are in Colfax County. The years New Mexicod listed below could be the first recognized documents for this county. (Elizabeth Town, 1869; Cimarron 1872; Springer 1882). Typescript (1877—1907) available at the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives.
- Colfax County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 230 N 3rd St, Raton, NM 87740
- Phone: (575) 445-5551
- Colfax County Clerks office
- Marriage Records: 1869
- Land Records: 1864
- Probate Records: 1864
- Colfax County 8th District Court Clerk
- Address: 1413 South 2nd Street, Raton, NM 87740
- Phone: 575-445-5585
Colfax County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Colfax County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is just a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Colfax County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.