Mercer County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Mercer County, New Jersey Facts
Mercer County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Mercer County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Mercer County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jerseyi for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Mercer County, NJ Census Records
What Mercer County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Mercer County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mercer Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mercer Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mercer Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Mercer County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Mercer County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Mercer County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New Jersey residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Mercer County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New Jersey Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Mercer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 209 South Broad Street, Trenton, NJ 08650
- Mercer County Clerk
- Phone: (609) 989-6464
- Land Records: 1838 Where two years appear, the first refers to mortgages, the second to deeds.
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Mercer County Surrogate Court / Orphan’s Court
- Address: 175 South Broad Street, P.O. Box 8068, Trenton, NJ 08650-0068
- Phone: 609-989-6331
- Probate Records: 1838 Where two years are given, the first is the date when orphans’ court minutes begin, the second when surrogates’ records and files begin .
- The Town records of Hopewell, New Jersey
- Abstracts of Partitions and Divisions of the New Jersey Counties of Monmouth, Mercer, and Burlington
- Nottingham township, New Jersey minute book 1692-1710, 1752-1772
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Mercer County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Mercer County, NJ?
A list of Mercer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Mercer County Cultural and Heritage Commission, 640 S. Broad St., Trenton, NJ 08650, (609) 989-6701
- Hopewell Valley Historical Society, State Hwy. No. 579 & 601, Pennington NJ 08534
- Old Mill Hill Society, P.O. Box 1263, Trenton
- Princeton Historical Society, 158 Nassau Street, Princeton, NJ 08542; 609.921.6748
- Trenton Historical Society, P.O. Box 1112, Trenton, NJ 08606; (609) 396-4478
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Mercer County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mercer County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mercer County
- Mercer County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Mercer County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mercer County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.