Sullivan County, New Hampshire
Cities and towns (date formed) situated in Sullivan County are Acworth (1776), Charlestown (1753), Claremont (1764), Cornish (1763), Croydon (1763), Goshen (1791), Grantham (1761), Langdon (1787), Lempster (1761), Newport (1761), Plainfield (1761), Springfield (1794), Sunapee (1850), Unity (1764), Washington (1776)
Sullivan County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules exist for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Sullivan Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sullivan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sullivan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There is free down-loadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Sullivan County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Sullivan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New Hampshire State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Acworth Historical Society, PO Box 37, South Acworth , NH 03607-0037
- Charlestown Historical Society, PO Box 159, Charlestown , NH 03603-0159; Phone: 603-826-9726
- Claremont Historical Society and Museum, 26 Mulberry Street, Claremont, NH 03743; Phone:(603) 543-1400
- Cornish Historical Society, 26 Schoolhouse Road, Cornish, NH 03745; Phone:(603) 542-3141
- Croydon Historical Society, 879 NH Route 10, Croydon , NH 03773-6102; Phone: 603-863-3099
- Fort at #4 Association, PO Box 1336, Charlestown , NH 03603-1336; Phone: 603-826-5700 or 888-367-8284
- Goshen Historical Society, c/o Ethel Nilson, President, 769 Washington Rd, Goshen , NH 03752-3522; Phone: 603-863-8831
- Grantham Historical Society, PO Box 540, Grantham , NH 03753-0540; Phone: 603-863-9701
- Lempster Historical Society 112 Lempster St, P.O. Box 21, Lempster, New Hampshire 03605; Telephone: 603 863 8180
- Newport Historical Society, PO Box 413, 20 Central Street, Newport, NH 03773; Phone:(603) 863-1294
- Plainfield Historical Society, PO Box 107, Plainfield , NH 03781-0107; Phone: 603-675-6866 (Library)
- Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site, 139 Saint Gaudens Rd, Cornish , NH 03745-4232; Phone: 603-675-2175
- Springfield Historical Society, PO Box 6, Springfield , NH 03284-0006; 603-496-5462
- Sunapee NH Historical Society, PO Box 501, Sunapee , NH 03782-0501; Phone: 603-763-9872
- Unity Historical Society, 13 Center Road, Box 6, Unity, NH 03603
- Washington Historical Society, PO Box 90, 90 Halfmoon Pond Road, Washington, NH 03280; Phone:(603) 495-6009
- Sullivan County, New Hampshire Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Sullivan County, New Hampshire Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Sullivan County (usgwarchives.net)
Sullivan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the great importance of Sullivan County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Hidden away in New Hampshire courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of the many New Hampshire citizens.
The odds are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Sullivan County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, property, wills, and courtroom records are typically in Sullivan County. The years indicated below are considered the first noted records data in this county. Early deeds were damaged by fire. A separate series of “burned deeds,” consisting of copies of surviving portions of the burned volumes with a separate index, is at the registry.
- Sullivan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 14 Main St., Newport NH 03773
- Sullivan County Clerk of Superior Court has Court Records from 1827
- Sullivan County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records from 1827
- Sullivan County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1827
- Sullivan County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records) from 1827.
- New Hampshire Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Hampshire for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Hampshire Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Sullivan County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Sullivan County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a collection that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Sullivan County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.