Belknap County, New Hampshire
The Belknap County Seat is located in Laconia (Court was held within the town of Meredith, at a village known as Meredith Bridge on the Winnipesaukee River. In 1855, the town of Laconia was separated from Meredith.) and the county government website is http://www.belknapcounty.org
Cities and towns (date formed) situated in Belknap County are Alton (1796), Barnstead (1727), Belmont (1859), Center Harbor (1797), Gilford (1812), Gilmanton (1727), Laconia (1855), Meredith (1746), New Hampton (1765), Sanbornton (1748), Tilton (1869)
Belknap County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules exist for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Belknap Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Belknap Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Belknap Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There is free down-loadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Belknap County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Belknap County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New Hampshire State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alton Historical Society, PO Box 536, Alton , NH 03809-0536
- Barnstead Historical Society, c/o 201 Tom Berry Rd , Center Barnstead , NH 03225-3445
- Belknap Mill Society ,The Mill Plaza , 25 Beacon St E , Laconia , NH 03246-3459; Phone: 603-524-8813
- Belmont Historical Society, 180 Dutile Rd , Belmont , NH 03220-3519
- Center Harbor Historical Society, PO Box 98, Center Harbor, NH 03226; Phone: 603-279-1236
- Gilmanton Historical Society, PO Box 236 , Gilmanton , NH 03237-0236
- Harold S. Gilman Museum, PO Box 659 , Alton , NH 03809-0659; Phone: 603-875-0201
- Laconia Historical & Museum Society,PO Box 1126 , Laconia , NH 03247-1126; Phone: 603-527-1278
- Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society,PO Box 5386 , Weirs Beach , NH 03247-5386; Phone: 603-366-5950
- Lakes Region Heritage Roundtable, PO Box 1492 , Center Harbor , NH 03226-1492
- Meredith Historical Society, 45 Main Street, Meredith, NH 03253; Phone: (603) 279-1190
- New Hampton Historical Society,PO Box 422 , New Hampton , NH 03256-0422; Phone: 603-279-0379
- Sanbornton Historical Document Foundation, PO Box 178 , Sanbornton , NH 03269-0178
- Sanbornton Historical Society,PO Box 204 , Sanbornton , NH 03269-0204; Phone: 603-286-7227
- Thompson-Ames Historical Society,PO Box 7404 , Gilford , NH 03247-7404; Phone: 603-527-9009
- Belknap County, New Hampshire Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Belknap County, New Hampshire Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Belknap County (usgwarchives.net)
Belknap County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the great importance of Belknap County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Hidden away in New Hampshire courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of the many New Hampshire citizens.
The odds are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Belknap County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, property, wills, and courtroom records are typically in Belknap County. The years indicated below are considered the first noted records data in this county. County courthouse has copies of Strafford County deeds covering land that became part of Belknap after formation in 1840.
- Belknap County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 64 Court Street, Laconia, NH 03246
- Belknap County Clerk of Superior Court has Court Records from 1841
- Belknap County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records from 1841
- Belknap County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1841
- Belknap County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records) from 1841.
- New Hampshire Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Hampshire for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Hampshire Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Belknap County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Belknap County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a collection that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Belknap County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.