Wayne County, Nebraska
Wayne County was founded on March 04, 1871 from Unorganized area of the Nebraska Territory.
Precincts located in the county include Brenna, Chapin, Deer Creek, Garfield, Hancock, Hoskins, Hunter, Logan, Leslie, Plum Creek, Sherman, Strahan, Wilbur.
Wayne County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Mortality Schedules are available for 1870 and 1880 . Industry and Agriculture Schedules exist for 1870 and 1880 . The Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free downloadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Wayne County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Nebraska State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wayne County Historical Society, PO Box 408, 908 Windom St., Wayne, NE 68787-1438; phone: 402-375-3885
- Wayne County, Nebraska Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Wayne County, Nebraska Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Wayne County (usgwarchives.net)
Wayne County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the great importance of Wayne County court, probate, and land records as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Nebraska courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Nebraska citizens. The chances are excellent that your particular ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Wayne County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 510 N Pearl St, Wayne, NE 68787
- Phone: (402) 375-2288
- Wayne County Clerk
- Marriage Records: 1871
- Wayne County Register of Deeds
- Land Records: 1871
- Wayne Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1871
- Court Records: 1869
- Nebraska Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nebraska for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Wayne County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Wayne County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is merely a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Wayne County genealogy or family history related sites.