Saunders County, Nebraska
Townships located in the county include Ashland, Bohemia, Center, Chapman, Chester, Clear Creek, Douglas, Elk, Green, Leshara, Marble, Marietta, Mariposa, Morse Bluff, Newman, North Cedar, Oak Creek, Pohocco, Richland, Rock Creek, South Cedar, Stocking, Union, Wahoo.
Saunders County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules exist for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Mortality Schedules are available for 1860, 1870 and 1880 . Industry and Agriculture Schedules exist for 1860, 1870 and 1880 . The Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free downloadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Saunders County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Saunders County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Nebraska State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Yutan Historical Society, 744 County Road N, Yutan, NE 68073-5007
- Saunders County, Nebraska Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Saunders County, Nebraska Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Saunders County (usgwarchives.net)
Saunders County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the great importance of Saunders County court, probate, and land records as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Nebraska courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Nebraska citizens. The chances are excellent that your particular ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Saunders County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
- Saunders County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 433 N Chestnut St, Wahoo, NE 68066
- Phone: (402) 443-8113
- Saunders County Clerk
- Marriage Records: 1866
- Saunders County Register of Deeds
- Land Records: 1856
- Saunders Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1866
- Court Records: 1866
- Nebraska Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nebraska for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Saunders County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Saunders County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is merely a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Saunders County genealogy or family history related sites.