Holt County, Nebraska
West County was founded on January 13, 1860 from Unorganized area of the Nebraska . On January 09, 1862 the County was renamed Holt County.
Townships located in the county include Antelope, Atkinson, Belle, Chambers, Cleveland, Coleman, Conley, Deloit, Dustin, Emmet, Ewing, Fairview, Francis, Golden, Grattan, Green Valley, Holt Creek, Inman, Iowa, Josie, Lake, McClure, Paddock, Pleasant View, Rock Falls, Sand Creek, Saratoga, Scott, Shamrock, Sheridan, Shields, Steel Creek, Stuart, Swan, Verdigris, Willowdale, Wyoming.
Holt County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Mortality Schedules are available for 1870 and 1880 . Industry and Agriculture Schedules exist for 1870 and 1880 . The Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free downloadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Holt County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Holt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Nebraska State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Holt County Historical Society, 401 E Douglas St, O’Neill, NE 68763; Phone:(402) 336-2344
- North Central Nebraska Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 362, O’Neill NE 68763
- Northern Nebraska Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 362, O’Neill NE 68763
- Holt County, Nebraska Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Holt County, Nebraska Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Holt County (usgwarchives.net)
Holt County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the great importance of Holt County court, probate, and land records as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Nebraska courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Nebraska citizens. The chances are excellent that your particular ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Holt County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
- Holt County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 204 N 4th St, O’Neill, NE 68763
- Phone: (402) 336-1762
- Holt County Clerk
- Marriage Records: 1878
- Holt County Register of Deeds
- Land Records: 1862
- Holt Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1862
- Court Records: 1862
- Nebraska Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nebraska for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Holt County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Holt County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is merely a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Holt County genealogy or family history related sites.