Harrison County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Harrison County, Missouri Facts
When was Harrison County, MO Created?
Harrison County was created on February 14, 1845 from Daviess County.
What is the County Seat of Harrison County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Bethany and in addition the county government website is unknown
Harrison County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Harrison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Harrison County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Harrison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Harrison County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Harrison County, MO Census Records
What Harrison County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Harrison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Harrison Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Harrison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harrison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harrison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Harrison County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Harrison County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Harrison County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Harrison County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Harrison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1505 Main Street, Bethany, MO 64424
- Harrison County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 660-425-6425
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Land Records: 1845
- Harrison County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (660) 425-6425
- Probate Records: 1853
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845
- Harrison County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (660) 425-6424
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Harrison County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Harrison County, MO?
A list of Harrison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Harrison County Genealogical Society, 2307 Central Street, Bethany, MO 64424; Phone: (660) 425-2459
- Harrison County Historical Society, 2205 Oakland Avenue, Bethany, MO 64424; Phone: (660) 425-3367
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Harrison County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Harrison County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Harrison County
- Harrison County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Harrison County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Harrison County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.