Traverse County, Minnesota
Genealogy, History & Facts
Traverse County, Minnesota Facts
When was Traverse County, MN Created?
Traverse County was founded on February 20, 1862 from Pierce County & Unorganized Territory.
Traverse County, MN Vital Records
Where can find Traverse County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Traverse County vital records can be found at the Minnesota Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth resords from 1900 and death records from 1908. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Traverse County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990
Traverse County, MN Census Records
What Traverse County, MN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Traverse County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Traverse Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Traverse Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Traverse Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Traverse Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the years 1849-1905.. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Minnesota Census Records Research Guide
Traverse County, MN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Traverse County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Traverse County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Minnesota residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Traverse County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Minnesota Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Traverse County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 702 Second Avenue N., Wheaton , MN 56296
- Phone: (320) 563-4343
- Traverse County Recorder
- Birth / Death Records: 1881
- Marriage Records: 1881
- Land Records: 1872
- Traverse County Court Administrator
- Probate Records: 1880
- Court Records: 1881
- Minnesota, Will Records, 1849-1985
- Minnesota Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Traverse County, MN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Traverse County, MN?
A list of Traverse County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Minnesota Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Traverse County Historical Society, 1201 Broadway, Wheaton, MN 56296
- West Central Minnesota Historical Center, University of Minnesota–Morris, Morris, MN 56267
- Minnesota State Archives, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 • 651-259-3260
- Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord St. N. Suite 218, South St. Paul, MN 55075-1187
- Minnesota Historical Society, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 . 651-259-3000
Where can I connect with other Traverse County, MN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Traverse County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Traverse County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Traverse County, MN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Traverse County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.