Norman County, Minnesota
Genealogy, History & Facts
Norman County, Minnesota Facts
When was Norman County, MN Created?
Norman County was founded on November 8, 1881 from Polk County.
Norman County, MN Vital Records
Where can find Norman County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Norman County vital records can be found at the Minnesota Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth resords from 1900 and death records from 1908. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Norman County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990
Norman County, MN Census Records
What Norman County, MN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Norman County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Norman Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Norman Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the years 1849-1905.. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Minnesota Census Records Research Guide
Norman County, MN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Norman County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Norman County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Minnesota residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Norman County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Minnesota Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Norman County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 16 E. Third Avenue, Ada , MN 56510
- Phone: (218) 784-5458
- Norman County Recorder
- Birth / Death Records: 1881
- Marriage Records: 1882
- Land Records: 1885
- Norman County Court Administrator
- Probate Records: 1882
- Court Records: 1882
- Minnesota, Will Records, 1849-1985
- Minnesota Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Norman County, MN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Norman County, MN?
A list of Norman County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Minnesota Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Norman County Historical Society, PO Box 303, Ada, MN 56510-0303, Phone: 218 784-7311
- Norman County Genealogy Society, Pioneer Village, Ada, MN 56510
- Red River History Museum, 211 3rd St, PO Box 123, Shelly MN 56581-0123, Phone: 218 886-8895
- Red River Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 9284, 112 N University Drive Suite L116, Fargo, ND 58106
- Northwest Minnesota Historical Center, Livingston Lord Library, Moorhead State University, Moorhead, MN 56560
- Minnesota State Archives, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 • 651-259-3260
- Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord St. N. Suite 218, South St. Paul, MN 55075-1187
- Minnesota Historical Society, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 . 651-259-3000
Where can I connect with other Norman County, MN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Norman County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Norman County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Norman County, MN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Norman County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.