Chippewa County, Minnesota
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chippewa County, Minnesota Facts
When was Chippewa County, MN Created?
Chippewa County was founded on February 20, 1862 from Davis County and Pierce County Counties.
Chippewa County, MN Vital Records
Where can find Chippewa County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chippewa County vital records can be found at the Minnesota Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth resords from 1900 and death records from 1908. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chippewa County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990
Chippewa County, MN Census Records
What Chippewa County, MN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chippewa County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chippewa Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Chippewa Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Chippewa Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Chippewa Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the years 1849-1905.. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Minnesota Census Records Research Guide
Chippewa County, MN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Chippewa County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Chippewa County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Minnesota residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Chippewa County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Minnesota Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Chippewa County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 629 N. 11th Street, Montevideo , MN 56265
- Phone: (320) 269-7774
- Chippewa County Recorder
- Birth / Death Records: 1870
- Marriage Records: 1870
- Land Records: 1870
- Chippewa County Court Administrator
- Probate Records: 1872
- Court Records: 1870
- Minnesota, Will Records, 1849-1985
- Minnesota Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Chippewa County, MN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chippewa County, MN?
A list of Chippewa County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Minnesota Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Chippewa County Historical Society, PO Box 303, 151 Pioneer Drive (Jct. 7 and 59), Montevideo MN 56265-0303; Phone: 320 269-7636
- West Central Minnesota Historical Center, University of Minnesota–Morris, Morris, MN 56267
- Friesen Historical Society, PO Box 26, Clara City, MN 56222
- Minnesota State Archives, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 • 651-259-3260
- Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord St. N. Suite 218, South St. Paul, MN 55075-1187
- Minnesota Historical Society, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 . 651-259-3000
Where can I connect with other Chippewa County, MN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chippewa County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Chippewa County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Chippewa County, MN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chippewa County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.