Montcalm County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Montcalm County, Michigan Facts
When was Montcalm County, MI Created?
Montcalm County was created on March 2, 1831 from Michilimackinac County and unorganized territory .
Montcalm County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Montcalm County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Montcalm County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Montcalm County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Montcalm County, MI Census Records
What Montcalm County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Montcalm County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Montcalm Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montcalm Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montcalm Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Montcalm County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Montcalm County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Montcalm County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Montcalm County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Montcalm County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 211 W. Main Street, Stanton, MI 48888
- Montcalm County Clerk
- Phone: 989-831-7339
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Montcalm County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (989) 831-5226, ext. 237
- Land Records: 1838
- Montcalm County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Phone: 989.831.7316
- Probate Records: 1855
- Montcalm County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Phone: (989) 831-3520
- Court Records: 1860?
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Montcalm County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Montcalm County, MI?
A list of Montcalm County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Flat River Genealogical Society of Greenville 506 W. Grant Street Greenville Michigan 48838
- Flat River Historical Society, 213 North Franklin Street, Greenville, MI 48838; (616) 754-5296
- Belding Area Historical Society 108 Hanover Belding Michigan 48809; (616) 794-2210
- Oakfield Pioneer Heritage Society & Museum 11009 Podunk Road Greenville Michigan 48838; (616) 754-1970
- N. Sidney Church & Cemetery Historical Association P.O. Box 202 Sidney Michigan 48885-0202; email; [email protected]
- Ionia County Historical Society, Blanchard House 251 E. Main, Ionia ,Michigan 48846; (616) 527-6281
- Ionia County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 516, Lake Odessa, Michigan 48849-0516; (616) 374-8455
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society, c/o Grand Rapids Public Library, 111 Library Street NE, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503-3268
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Montcalm County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montcalm County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montcalm County
- Montcalm County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Montcalm County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Montcalm County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.