Berrien County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Berrien County, Michigan Facts
When was Berrien County, MI Created?
Berrien County was created on October 29 1829 from unorganized territory .
Berrien County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Berrien County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Berrien County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Berrien County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Orena V. Grant genealogical collection (marriages records)
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Berrien County, MI Census Records
What Berrien County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Berrien County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Berrien Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Berrien Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Berrien Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Berrien County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Berrien County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Berrien County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Berrien County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Berrien County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 701 Main Street St. Joseph MI 49085
- Berrien County Clerk
- Phone: 616-983-7111 ext. 8233
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Berrien County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (269) 983-7111 ext 8562
- Land Records: 1831
- Berrien County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Phone: (269) 983-7111 ex. 8365
- Probate Records: 1834
- Berrien County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Phone: (269) 983-7111 ex. 8395
- Court Records: 1833
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Berrien County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Berrien County, MI?
A list of Berrien County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Berrien County Historical Association 313 N. Cass Street P.O. Box 261 Berrien Springs MI 49103; (269) 471-1202 Fax (269) 471-7412. The archives are accessible during museum hours but researchers are strongly urged to call ahead to insure that the curator will be available to assist them.
- Berrien County Genealogical Society P.O. Box 8808 Benton Harbor MI 49023-8808
- Four Flags Area Genealogical Society P.O. Box 414 Niles MI 49120-0414
- Ft. Miami Heritage Society Of Michigan 708 State St. St. Joseph 49085
- Galien Woods Historical Society 708 Galien-Buchanan Rd. Galien 49113
- North Berrien Historical Society 300 Coloma Ave P.O. Box 207 Coloma MI 49038; 269-468-3330
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Berrien County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Berrien County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Berrien County
- Berrien County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Berrien County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Berrien County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.