Barry County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Barry County, Michigan Facts
When was Barry County, MI Created?
Barry County was created on October 29 1829 from unorganized territory .
Barry County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Barry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Barry County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Barry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Barry County, MI Census Records
What Barry County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Barry County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Barry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barry Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Barry County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Barry County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Barry County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Barry County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Barry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 220 West State Street Hastings MI 49058
- Barry County Clerk
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Barry County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (269) 945-1289
- Land Records: 1834
- Barry County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Phone: (269) 945-1390
- Probate Records: 1862
- Barry County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Phone: (269) 945-1286
- Court Records: 1850
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Barry County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Barry County, MI?
A list of Barry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society c/o Grand Rapids Public Library 111 Library Street NE Grand Rapids MI 49503-3268
- Barry County Historical Society 2545 South Charlton Park Road Hastings MI 49058
- Bernard Historical Society PO.Box 307 7135 W. Delton Rd. Delton 49046; 269-623-5416
- Barry County History Preservation Association of P.O. Box 705 Hastings MI 49058
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Barry County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barry County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Barry County
- Barry County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Barry County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Barry County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.