Plymouth County, Massachusetts
Genealogy, History & Facts
Plymouth County, Massachusetts Facts
When was Plymouth County, MA Created?
Plymouth County was founded on June 2, 1685 as one of three original counties created in the Plymouth Colony.
What is the County Seat of Plymouth County, MA?
The County Seat is located in Plymouth & Brockton and the county government website is http://www.plymouthcountymass.us/
What counties are adjacent to Plymouth County, MA?
Bordering Counties are Norfolk County, Barnstable County, Bristol County.
Plymouth County, MA Vital Records
Where can find Plymouth County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Plymouth County vital records can be found at the Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841. There is a fee for each copy requested. Records for events that occurred from 1841-1910 are available at the State Archives.
Plymouth County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available.
You can search online for Plymouth County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Massachusetts Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Vital records of Bridgewater, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of Scituate, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Rochester, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Abington, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Plympton, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Records of the Town of Plymouth, Vol. III
- Vital records of Pembroke, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Kingston, Massachusetts, to the year 1850
- Records of the Town of Plymouth, Vol. II
- Vital records of Brockton, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Records of the Town of Plymouth, Vol. I
- A copy of the records of births, marriages and deaths, and of intentions of marriage of the town of Hanover, Mass., 1717-1787
- Records of Plymouth Colony
- Vital records of the town of Halifax, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Carver, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of Hanson, Massachusetts to the year 185
- Vital records of Hull, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Massachusetts Marriage Project
- Early Vital Records of Massachusetts, From 1600 to 1850
- Massachusetts, State Vital Records, 1841-1920
- Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Towns Records, 1579-2001
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895
- Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639-1915
- Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915
- Boston Births, 1700-1800
- Massachusetts, Town Birth Records, 1620-1850
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1633-1850
- Boston Marriages from 1752 to 1809
- Boston Marriages from 1700 to 1751
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. II
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. III
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. I
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. IV
- Massachusetts Marriages to 1800
- Massachusetts Town Marriage Records
- Massachusetts, Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910
- Massachusetts, Deaths, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Town Death Records, 1620-1850
Plymouth County, MA Census Records
What Plymouth County, MA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Plymouth County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Plymouth Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Plymouth Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Plymouth Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890.
Massachusetts state censuses exist for the years 1855 and 1865. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Massachusetts Census Records Research Guide
Plymouth County, MA Courthouse and Government Records
Plymouth County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Plymouth County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Plymouth County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Massachusetts residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Plymouth County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Massachusetts Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Plymouth County, MA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Plymouth County, MA?
A list of Plymouth County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Massachusetts Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Brockton Historical Society, 216 No. Pearl Street, Brockton, MA 02301; Phone: (508) 583-1039
- Duxbury Rural & Historical Society, PO Box 2865, 479 Washington Street, Duxbury, MA 02331; Phone: (781) 934-6106
- Hingham Historical Society, P.O Box 434, Hingham, MA 02043; Phone: (781) 749-7721
- Mattapoisett Historical Society, 5 Church Street, Mattapoisett, MA; Phone: (508) 758-2654
- Rockland Historical Society, P.O. Box 1331, 242 Union Street, Rockland MA 02370; (207) 594-6193
- Scituate Historical Society, 43 Cudworth Road, P. O. Box 276, Scituate Massachusetts 02066 - 781 545-1083
- Massachusetts Historical Society, 1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215
- State Archives Building, 220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125
Where can I connect with other Plymouth County, MA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Plymouth County, MA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Plymouth County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Plymouth Co. MA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Plymouth Co. MA Cemeteries & Church Records
- Massachusetts Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Epitaphs from Burial Hill, Plymouth, Massachusetts, 1657-1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Epitaphs from Burial Hill, Plymouth, Massachusetts, from 1657 to 1892 : with biographical and historical notes (search.ancestry.com)
- Death records from the ancient burial ground at Kingston, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth Co., Massachusetts Graves (findagrave.com)
- Epitaphs in Old Bridgewater, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Plymouth Co., Massachusetts Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Plymouth Co., Massachusetts Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Massachusetts Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Records of the First Church of Wareham, Massachusetts, 1739-1891 (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth, Massachusetts Church Records, Vols. I and II, 1620-1859 (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts Church Books (amazon.com)
Plymouth Co. MA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Plymouth Co. MA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Massachusetts
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (1884) (archive.org)
- Plymouth Colony, History and People (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the town of Plymouth (search.ancestry.com)
- History of North Bridgewater : Plymouth County, Massachusetts : from its first settlement to the present time, with family regi (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts Biographical Review, 1897 (search.ancestry.com)
- Village, Section or Neighborhood Names of Massachusetts Communities (sec.state.ma.us)
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Plymouth Co. MA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Massachusetts - Counties - Plymouth (cyndislist.com)
- Plymouth County Massachusetts (genealogytrails.com)
- Plymouth Co. MAGenweb (plymouthcolony.net)
- Plymouth County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Plymouth Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Plymouth Co. MA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Plymouth Co. MA Military Records
Plymouth Co. MA Schools & Directories
- Massachusetts City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Massachusetts. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information.
- Brockton, Massachusetts City Directory, 1887-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth, Massachusetts Directories, 1890, 1893 (search.ancestry.com)
- Whitman, Massachusetts Directories, 1889, 1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Middleboro, Massachusetts Directory, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Abington, Massachusetts Directories, 1889, 1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Scituate, Massachusetts Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Marshfield, Massachusetts Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth church records, 1620-1859 (search.ancestry.com)
- Duxbury, Massachusetts Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Norwell, Massachusetts Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lakeville, Massachusetts Directory, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)