Nantucket County, Massachusetts
Genealogy, History & Facts
Nantucket County, Massachusetts Facts
When was Nantucket County, MA Created?
Nantucket County was founded on June 22, 1695 from Dukes County.
Nantucket County, MA Vital Records
Where can find Nantucket County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Nantucket County vital records can be found at the Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841. There is a fee for each copy requested. Records for events that occurred from 1841-1910 are available at the State Archives.
Nantucket County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available.
You can search online for Nantucket County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Massachusetts Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Vital records of Nantucket, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Massachusetts Marriage Project
- Early Vital Records of Massachusetts, From 1600 to 1850
- Massachusetts, State Vital Records, 1841-1920
- Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Towns Records, 1579-2001
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895
- Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639-1915
- Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910
- Massachusetts, Deaths, 1841-1915
Nantucket County, MA Census Records
What Nantucket County, MA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Nantucket County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Nantucket Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Nantucket Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Nantucket Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890.
Massachusetts state censuses exist for the years 1855 and 1865. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Massachusetts Census Records Research Guide
Nantucket County, MA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Nantucket County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Nantucket County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Massachusetts residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Nantucket County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Massachusetts Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Nantucket County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 16 Broad Street, Nantucket, MA 02554
- Nantucket County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (508) 228-7250
- Land Records: 1695
- Nantucket County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (508) 228-2669
- Probate Records: 1706
- Nantucket County Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (508) 228-2559
- Court Records: 1721
- Massachusetts Name Changes, 1780-1892
- BLM Land Records
Nantucket County, MA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Nantucket County, MA?
A list of Nantucket County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Massachusetts Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Nantucket Historical Association, PO Box 1016, Nantucket, MA 02554; Phone: (508) 228-1894
- Massachusetts Historical Society, 1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215
- State Archives Building, 220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Nantucket County, Massachusetts Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
Where can I connect with other Nantucket County, MA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Massachusetts Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Massachusetts State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Nantucket County, MA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Nantucket County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.