Kennebec County, Maine
Cities and towns found in Kennebec County include Albion, Augusta, Belgrade, Benton, Chelsea, China, Clinton, Farmingdale, Fayette, Gardiner, Hallowell, Litchfield, Manchester, Monmouth, Mount Vernon, Oakland, Pittston, Randolph, Readfield, Rome, Sidney, Vassalboro, Vienna, Waterville, Wayne, West Gardiner, Windsor, Winslow, Winthrop.
Kennebec Co. Kennebec Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kennebec Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kennebec Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can find free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Kennebec County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Kennebec County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Maine State Genealogy Network
- Kennebec County, Maine Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Kennebec County, Maine Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- State Archive Collections, 1790-1966 (familysearch.org) Collections from the Maine State Archives consisting of court, military, naturalization, land and other record sets. This collection is being published as images become available.
- USGenWeb Archives for Kennebec County
Kennebec County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the significance of Kennebec County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Maine courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of many Maine inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Kennebec County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following specifics shows whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and court records are usually in Kennebec County. The years pointed out below are the first known records with this county.
- Kennebec County Courthouse, 95 State St, Augusta, ME 04330
- Phone: (207) 561-2300
- Kennebec County Registry of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Land Records: 1799
- Kennebec County Clerk of Probate Court has has had several relating definitions over the years: the Widows and Orphans Court; the Poor Court; and the Court of Protection. All of these terms fit the description of the Probate Court.The Probate Court carries out the following procedures: Adoptions, Guardianship of Minors, Guardianships, Conservatorships, Change of Names, Estates, Trusts and Beginning Sept. 18, 1999 – Support of Enforcement.
- Probate Records: 1799
- Kennebec County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. Some of the Clerks records have been transfered to the Maine State Archives.
- Maine Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maine for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Maine Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Kennebec County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Kennebec County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most popular Kennebec County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.