Cumberland County, Maine
Cumberland County was founded on March 28, 1760 from part of York County (originally Cumberland County, Massachusetts) . This county was named in honor of Prince William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, son of George II of Great Britain..
The Cumberland County Seat is situated in Portland and the county government website is http://www.cumberlandcounty.org/
Locations adjacent to Cumberland County happen to be Androscoggin County, Oxford County, Sagadahoc County, York County.
Cities and towns found in Cumberland County include Baldwin, Bridgton, Brunswick, Cape Elizabeth, Casco, Chebeague Island, Cumberland, Falmouth, Freeport, Frye Island, Gorham, Gray, Harpswell, Harrison, Long Island, Naples, New Gloucester, North Yarmouth, Portland, Pownal, Raymond, Scarborough, Sebago, South Portland, Standish, Westbrook, Windham, Yarmouth.
Cumberland County has Federal Census Schedules to aid in exploring your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cumberland Co. Cumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can find free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Cumberland County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Cumberland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Cumberland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the significance of Cumberland County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Maine courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of many Maine inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Cumberland County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide persons in locating the resources, however it's up to the particular person to complete the researching.
The following specifics shows whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and court records are usually in Cumberland County. The years pointed out below are the first known records with this county.
- Cumberland County Courthouse, 142 Federal St, Portland, ME 04101
- Phone: (207) 871-8389
- Cumberland County Registry of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Cumberland County Clerk of Probate Court has has had several relating definitions over the years: the Widows and Orphans Court; the Poor Court; and the Court of Protection. All of these terms fit the description of the Probate Court.The Probate Court carries out the following procedures: Adoptions, Guardianship of Minors, Guardianships, Conservatorships, Change of Names, Estates, Trusts and Beginning Sept. 18, 1999 - Support of Enforcement.
- Probate Records: 1908; Fire loss; 1900-08 index survived.
- Cumberland County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. Some of the Clerks records have been transfered to the Maine State Archives.
- Maine Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maine for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Cumberland County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Cumberland County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most popular Cumberland County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Cumberland Co. ME Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cumberland Co. ME Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cumberland Co. ME Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cumberland Co. ME Census Records
Cumberland Co. ME Church & Cemeteries
Cumberland Co. ME Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cumberland Co. ME General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Maine
- Cumberland County, Maine Wikipedia
- History of Gorham, Me.
- A history of Otisfield, CumberlandCounty, Maine from the original grant to the close of the year 1944
- Biographical review : this volume contains biographical sketches of leading citizens of CumberlandCounty, Maine.
- Windham in the past
- History of CumberlandCo., Maine : with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers.
- Portland city guide
- An historical sketch, guide book, and prospectus of Cushing's Island, Casco Bay, coast of Maine
- Cumberland County, Maine Wiki
- Cumberland Co. ME Genealogy
- Family History Library
- Cumberland County, Maine
- Cyndi's List - United States - Maine - Counties - Cumberland
- Cumberland Co. MEGenweb
- Cumberland County Genealogy Queries
- Cumberland Co. Data Collections
Cumberland Co. ME Immigration & Naturalization
Cumberland Co. ME Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cumberland Co. ME Military Records
Cumberland Co. ME Schools & Directories
- The town register, Gorham and Buxton, 1905
- Resident and business directory of the town of Brunswick and Topsham village, with maps
- Portland, Maine Directories, 1889-91
- The Town Register, Otisfield, Harrison, Naples and Sebago: 1906
- Maine City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Maine. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- The Maine register and business directory for the year 1856