Orleans Parish, Louisiana
Genealogy & Facts
Orleans Parish, Louisiana Facts
When was Orleans Parish, LA Created?
Orleans Parish was established on March 31, 1807 as one of the original 19 parishes. (originally created on April 10, 1805 as Orleans County, Louisana Territory as one of the original 12 counties, coterminous with the City of New Orleans). The parish was named for the Duke of Orléans, the regent of France .
What is the Parish Seat of Orleans Parish, LA?
The Parish Seat is located in New Orleans (founded about 1718) and the parish government website is www.nola.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Orleans Parish, LA?
Bordering Parishes are St. Tammany Parish, St. Bernard, Plaquemines Parish, and Jefferson Parish.
What cities and towns are in Orleans Parish, LA?
Cities and towns located in the Parish include New Orleans.
Orleans Parish, LA Vital Records
Where can find Orleans Parish Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Orleans Parish vital records can be found at the Louisiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records since July 1914. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Orleans Parish Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Louisiana Birth or Death Certificate Application to mail.
The Louisiana State Archives has Birth Records that occurred in Louisiana more than 100 years from the end of the current calendar year. It also has Death Records that occurred in Louisiana more than 50 years from the end of the current calendar year.
- Louisiana, Orleans Parish Vital Records, 1910, 1960
- New Orleans, Louisiana, Marriage Records Index, 1831-1920
- Orleans Parish Birth Records Index
- New Orleans, Louisiana, Death Records Index, 1804-1949
- New Orleans, Louisiana Birth Records Index, 1790-1899
- New Orleans Deaths, 1840-1970
- Orleans Parish Marriage Records Index
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Louisiana Marriage Project
- Louisiana, Births and Christenings, 1811-1830; 1854-1934
- Louisiana, Marriages, 1816-1906
- Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957
- Louisiana Marriages, 1718-1925
- Louisiana Marriage Records, 1851-1900
- Louisiana Marriages to 1850
- Marriage contracts of French colonial Louisiana
- New Orleans, Louisiana, Marriage Records Index, 1831-1920
- Louisiana Death Records Index
- Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1850-1875, 1894-1956
- Louisiana, Statewide Death Index, 1900-1949
- Southwest Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1840-1906
Orleans Parish, LA Census Records
What Orleans Parish, LA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Orleans Parish guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orleans Parish Slave Schedules can be found for 1850 & 1860. Orleans Parish Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Parish Industry and Agriculture can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Parish Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Louisiana Census Records Research Guide
Orleans Parish, LA Courthouse and Government Records
Orleans Parish Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Orleans Parish Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Orleans Parish. The years listed below are the first noted records with this parish. See Also Louisiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Orleans Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Orleans - Civil District: 421 Loyola Avenue, Room 402, New Orleans, LA 70112; (504) 592-9100
- Orleans - Criminal District: 2700 Tulane Avenue, Room 114, New Orleans, LA 70119; Phone: (504) 658-9000
- Orleans - 1st City Court: 421 Loyola Avenue, Room 201, New Orleans, LA 70112; (504) 592-9155
- Orleans - 2nd City Court: 225 Morgan Street, Room 206, New Orleans, LA 70114; (504) 368-4245
- Marriage Records: 1718
- Land Records: 1832
- Probate Records: 1805
- Court Records: 1805
- Louisiana, Orleans Court Records, 1822-1880
- Louisiana, Orleans Parish Estate Files, 1804-1846
- Louisiana, Orleans Parish Second District Judicial Court Case Files, 1846-1880
- USGenWeb Archives for Orleans Parish
- BLM Land Records
Orleans Parish, LA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Orleans Parish, LA?
A list of Orleans Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Louisiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Genealogical Research Society Of New Orleans, P.O. Box 51791, New Orleans 70151
- Genealogy West, 5644 Abbey Dr., New Orleans 70130-3808
- Multicutural Genealogical Society, 4310 St. Anthony Ave., New Orleans 70122-3104
- Inventory of the parish archives of Louisiana. : preliminary inventory of notarial records in Orleans Parish (search.ancestry.com)
- Louisiana State Archives, 3851 Essen Lane, P.O. Box 94125
- Louisiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 82060, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70884
- Louisiana Historical Society, 5801 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans, Louisiana 70115
Where can I connect with other Orleans Parish, LA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Orleans Parish, LA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Orleans Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Orleans Parish LA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Orleans Parish LA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Orleans Parish LA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orleans Parish LA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Louisiana
- Orleans Parish, Louisiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Historical sketch book & guide to New Orleans (search.ancestry.com)
- The Creoles of Louisiana (search.ancestry.com)
- The Manhattaner in New Orleans, or, Phases of Crescent City life (search.ancestry.com)
- The industries of New Orleans : her rank, resources, advantages, trade, commerce and manufactures, conditions of the past, pres (search.ancestry.com)
- Geschichte der Deutschen Gesellschaft von New Orleans (in German) (search.ancestry.com)
- Orleans Parish, Louisiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Orleans Parish LA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Orleans Parish, Louisiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Louisiana - Parishes - Orleans (cyndislist.com)
- Orleans Parish Louisiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Orleans Parish LAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Orleans Parish Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Orleans Parish Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Orleans Parish LA Immigration & Naturalization
Orleans Parish LA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orleans Parish LA Military Records
Orleans Parish LA Schools & Directories